Canadian Student Aiming for HYS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Xixak

Canadian Student Aiming for HYS?

Postby Xixak » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

Last edited by Xixak on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xixak

Re: Canadian Student Aiming for HYS?

Postby Xixak » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm

bump, I'd really appreciate some responses

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm

First off, figure you'll probably end up at Harvard, because your softs are okay, but not fabulous. HOWEVER, if you get the URM bump, you'll be in everywhere.

- I'm going to most likely have a GPA around 3.8-3.85 by the end of my junior year, I'm assuming that's ok?

Have a 3.91 by the time you graduate. HYS medians are above 3.88, so make sure it gets above that for sure.

what kind of score am I going to need to be competitive?

At H, 173-174. At S, 174. At Y, 175.

- Also I would like to know if I'm considered a URM? I'm black, but obviously not American so would I get that boost or no?

This is the tricky part. Read all of GAIA's sticky thread, but as I remember, international students don't get a substantial/any boost. If you do, though, that would be huge.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:04 pm

I don't think that international applicants are considered for URM status.

You need an actual LSAT score before targeting law schools. The LSAT is the most important factor in US law school admissions. GPA is second. It's the reverse, however, for Canadian law schools. Don't dismiss Toronto when applying to law schools if you have a stellar GPA.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm assuming you go to UofT (maybe McGill? MAYBE UBC? Almost definitely Toronto though..).

a) Keep in mind UofT Law is pretty solid, anyway.
b) Keep in mind UofT's GPA (A+=4, A=4, A-=3.7) does not reflect LSAC's. Your 3.85 could very well be a 3.95 if you have a lot of A+'s, for example.
c) Keep in mind that a lot of Canadian stuff is treated as domestic from LSAC's point of view and that "international student" is super blurry when discussing Canadians.
d) LSAT scores = aim for 180, obviously, but rewrite if under 173. I suspect people are giving you "175" as a target because you've listed a 3.85 GPA, but you very well might have a GPA above 3.9 as I explained in "b"
e) You don't REALLY stand out EC wise, especially for HYS.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:25 am

bbsg wrote:I'm assuming you go to UofT (maybe McGill? MAYBE UBC? Almost definitely Toronto though..).

a) Keep in mind UofT Law is pretty solid, anyway.
b) Keep in mind UofT's GPA (A+=4, A=4, A-=3.7) does not reflect LSAC's. Your 3.85 could very well be a 3.95 if you have a lot of A+'s, for example.
c) Keep in mind that a lot of Canadian stuff is treated as domestic from LSAC's point of view and that "international student" is super blurry when discussing Canadians.
d) LSAT scores = aim for 180, obviously, but rewrite if under 173. I suspect people are giving you "175" as a target because you've listed a 3.85 GPA, but you very well might have a GPA above 3.9 as I explained in "b"
e) You don't REALLY stand out EC wise, especially for HYS.

I do not go to U of T haha. My school doesn't have A+ so my GPA would be the same as the LSAC. If Canadians are treated as domestic that's pretty awesome.... because then I would be considered a URM wouldn't I?

I'm definitely going to aim for a 180, that's my goal. Probably going to start studying on weekends next semester... when do you recommend I take the LSAT?

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 am

twentypercentmore wrote:First off, figure you'll probably end up at Harvard, because your softs are okay, but not fabulous. HOWEVER, if you get the URM bump, you'll be in everywhere.

Sorry, total noob here, but what are "softs"? Are they ECs? And is the URM bump really THAT significant? So with the boost a 3.8/175 would basically make me a lock anywhere?

- I'm going to most likely have a GPA around 3.8-3.85 by the end of my junior year, I'm assuming that's ok?

Have a 3.91 by the time you graduate. HYS medians are above 3.88, so make sure it gets above that for sure.

Isn't the median at Harvard a 3.85? I'm aiming for as close to a 4.0 as possible, but I mean last year I only got a 3.6 because I messed up one course so a 3.9+ would mean basically all As for the rest of college.

what kind of score am I going to need to be competitive?

At H, 173-174. At S, 174. At Y, 175.

- Also I would like to know if I'm considered a URM? I'm black, but obviously not American so would I get that boost or no?

This is the tricky part. Read all of GAIA's sticky thread, but as I remember, international students don't get a substantial/any boost. If you do, though, that would be huge.

Thanks for the info, replies are in bold.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:13 am

Xixak wrote:Sorry, total noob here, but what are "softs"? Are they ECs? And is the URM bump really THAT significant? So with the boost a 3.8/175 would basically make me a lock anywhere?

Softs are soft factors (basically, everything but GPA, LSAT, and URM status). So everything from having a really great personal statement all the way to curing HIV are considered "softs". Those can included ECs, but are not limited to them.

A 3.8 and 175 would proooobably get you into Harvard. A 3.8 and a 173 would make you a lock at basically all of HYS and a couple of full ride scholarships if you got the AA boost. Yeah, it's significant, but don't figure that it will factor into your cycle, unfortunately for you.

Isn't the median at Harvard a 3.85? I'm aiming for as close to a 4.0 as possible, but I mean last year I only got a 3.6 because I messed up one course so a 3.9+ would mean basically all As for the rest of college.

Median at Harvard is 3.89, median at Stanford is 3.88, and median at Yale is 3.9. If you think studying for the LSAT will take away from your studies, then don't study for it yet. Wait, and focus on getting all A's for now. You're really close to having an amazing GPA -- one that many posters here would give their right nut for. Keep at it. :)

rainyday

Postby rainyday » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 am

I'm really no expert on admissions, but I'm a Canadian with a 3.92 from McGill (which I'm pretty sure you go to) and I'm applying this year to HYS. I haven't written the LSAT yet, but I'm aiming for 175 in December. My advice as a McGill alum is work really hard on that GPA. All As for the rest of your degree is not impossible, you just need to make some sacrifices. I wasn't in cognitive sciences, but philosophy is definitely a subject where the professors are willing to give As, and won't spite you to fit to some grading curve (as can happen at McGill). Once you get your GPA above 3.85 McGill starts handing out scholarships and awards like there's no tomorrow, so you should try to get up there both for the GPA and the softs that can come.

Again, I'm not an expert on law admissions, but I do know McGill, so feel free to pm me with any questions. And sorry if you do go to UBC.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:15 am

rainyday wrote:I'm really no expert on admissions, but I'm a Canadian with a 3.92 from McGill (which I'm pretty sure you go to) and I'm applying this year to HYS. I haven't written the LSAT yet, but I'm aiming for 175 in December. My advice as a McGill alum is work really hard on that GPA. All As for the rest of your degree is not impossible, you just need to make some sacrifices. I wasn't in cognitive sciences, but philosophy is definitely a subject where the professors are willing to give As, and won't spite you to fit to some grading curve (as can happen at McGill). Once you get your GPA above 3.85 McGill starts handing out scholarships and awards like there's no tomorrow, so you should try to get up there both for the GPA and the softs that can come.

Again, I'm not an expert on law admissions, but I do know McGill, so feel free to pm me with any questions. And sorry if you do go to UBC.

I sent you a PM.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”