GPA Addendum? (Depression, Anxiety, Drugs, Immaturity)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LaFinDuMonde

GPA Addendum? (Depression, Anxiety, Drugs, Immaturity)

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 am

Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kckool7

Re: GPA Addendum? (Depression, Anxiety, Drugs, Immaturity)

Postby kckool7 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:39 am

For a 3.23-3.3? I wouldn't. First of all, I don't think the GPA is low enough to require an addendum. You're hardly the first applicant to have shitty grades before straightening yourself out. Second of all, it sounds like the drug use was illegal. Highlighting that as a major problem could be a C&F issue which may make adcoms wary. Third, I think it makes you sound like a basket case who might not be able to handle the emotional stress and anxiety inherent in academics at a very competitive law school. I'm just a 0L, but that's my 2 cents.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 am

kckool7 wrote:For a 3.23-3.3? I wouldn't. First of all, I don't think the GPA is low enough to require an addendum. You're hardly the first applicant to have shitty grades before straightening yourself out. Second of all, it sounds like the drug use was illegal. Highlighting that as a major problem could be a C&F issue which may make adcoms wary. Third, I think it makes you sound like a basket case who might not be able to handle the emotional stress and anxiety inherent in academics at a very competitive law school. I'm just a 0L, but that's my 2 cents.

Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:54 am

I had a lot of the same problems you did and petitioned for retroactive withdrawal from my community college. I had my therapist write a letter about my diagnosis to substantiate my claim and most of my bad grades were erased.

It's definitely worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, I wrote an addendum about my mental health issues and don't think it affected my cycle at all. It's all about how you frame it.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:00 pm

masked kavana wrote:I had a lot of the same problems you did and petitioned for retroactive withdrawal from my community college. I had my therapist write a letter about my diagnosis to substantiate my claim and most of my bad grades were erased.

It's definitely worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, I wrote an addendum about my mental health issues and don't think it affected my cycle at all. It's all about how you frame it.

Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Last edited by bp shinners on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

"Don't focus on the immaturity or drug use. Talk about the diagnoses of these diseases, how you've successfully treated them, and how that's reflected in your more recent grades."

- Seconded
- Definitely don't talk about all the meth you used to do
- Seriously consider not writing one at all. What positive difference could it make? In my opinion, making excuses for past mistakes always makes you look worse, not better. Especially if you just wasted even MORE of the person's time who is reviewing your file.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:"Don't focus on the immaturity or drug use. Talk about the diagnoses of these diseases, how you've successfully treated them, and how that's reflected in your more recent grades."

- Seconded
- Definitely don't talk about all the meth you used to do
- Seriously consider not writing one at all. What positive difference could it make? In my opinion, making excuses for past mistakes always makes you look worse, not better. Especially if you just wasted even MORE of the person's time who is reviewing your file.

Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm

bp shinners wrote:Don't focus on the immaturity or drug use. Talk about the diagnoses of these diseases, how you've successfully treated them, and how that's reflected in your more recent grades.

Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 am

Last edited by bp shinners on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Last edited by keg411 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Deleting per OP request
Last edited by BigZuck on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Deleting per OP request
Last edited by BigZuck on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:OP, how old are you? If you're a 22 year old K-JD who is looking back calling your 19 year old self immature whereas now you're mature I'm not sure that is exactly an assessment you can make. I only say this because I knew someone in my grad program who had all these issues in college, went to law school at Columbia and flaked after the first year, then went to a PhD program and flaked after the second year and is now doing who knows what. Not saying you are her and not trying to downplay the progress you have made but maybe it's a good idea to work for a while, both to distance yourself from your grades and your former problems and decide if you really want to go to law school. There is a world of difference between someone who is in their early, mid, and late 20s, believe me.

Just a thought, feel free to disregard that advice if it's not applicable.
Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Last edited by keg411 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:08 pm

I would write the GPA addendum like any other addendum. I wouldn't give them any reason to worry about you being unstable. Just say you found your motivation later in your undergrad career, and you feel your lower grades at the beginning are not a fair representation of your abilities in the classroom. That's all they want to hear you say, anything beyond that and you're just raising eyebrows.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 pm

mrizza wrote:I would write the GPA addendum like any other addendum. I wouldn't give them any reason to worry about you being unstable. Just say you found your motivation later in your undergrad career, and you feel your lower grades at the beginning are not a fair representation of your abilities in the classroom. That's all they want to hear you say, anything beyond that and you're just raising eyebrows.

Last edited by LaFinDuMonde on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am

mrizza wrote:Just say you found your motivation later in your undergrad career, and you feel your lower grades at the beginning are not a fair representation of your abilities in the classroom. That's all they want to hear you say, anything beyond that and you're just raising eyebrows.

Don't say that in an addendum. That's the presumption an addendum is designed to overcome. If that's what you say, there's no reason to say it.

LaFinDuMonde

Postby LaFinDuMonde » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 pm

I am sorry for wasting everyone's time. I got my academic summary report today, and my cumulative GPA is substantially higher than I thought it would be. I was calculating my GPA wrong. I am truly sorry to all of you that took time thinking about my question and answering it. Obviously I am not writing an addendum. I guess this is why people say not to post based on hypos. I would also deeply appreciate if you gals and guys would delete all of your posts in this thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”