GPA Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
feistyone22

GPA Addendum

Postby feistyone22 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:12 pm

For most of undergrad I had two majors, political science and statistics. However, the classes I had to take for statistics killed my GPA, and I eventually dropped the major. My overall GPA is 3.41, including all classes. However, my GPA without those awful statistics classes is much higher, 3.54. My major GPA for political science is 3.6. Should I write an addendum explaining this? Or does it just sound like a whiny excuse?

rinkrat19

Re: GPA Addendum

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 pm

1. 3.41 to 3.56 is really not THAT big of a difference.
2. "Hard" classes are a bad excuse. Plenty of people take the hard classes AND get good grades.

feistyone22

Postby feistyone22 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:1. 3.41 to 3.56 is really not THAT big of a difference.
2. "Hard" classes are a bad excuse. Plenty of people take the hard classes AND get good grades.

Yeah thats fair. It wasn't so much that they were "hard" classes, just graded differently. In that field, my grades would get me into a great Ph.D program. The grades themselves are just treated differently, sort of like engineering.

Without the classes that were needed only for my major and no other requirements, there are still plenty of hard classes left in.

Bottom line you think dont say anything?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:20 pm

feistyone22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:1. 3.41 to 3.56 is really not THAT big of a difference.

Yeah thats fair. It wasn't so much that they were "hard" classes, just graded differently. In that field, my grades would get me into a great Ph.D program. The grades themselves are just treated differently, sort of like engineering.

Without the classes that were needed only for my major and no other requirements, there are still plenty of hard classes left in.

Bottom line you think dont say anything?

Definitely don't say anything. It won't help in the slightest and could definitely hurt you.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:41 pm

feistyone22 wrote:It wasn't so much that they were "hard" classes, just graded differently. In that field, my grades would get me into a great Ph.D program. The grades themselves are just treated differently, sort of like engineering.

Talk to a professor in the department with whom you have a good relationship. Ask them for a Letter of Rec, and see if they'll mention the difficulty of the course and how tough the curve is (with specifics, if possible). Profit.

For posterity, if you have a major/school with a difficult curve, the best (and, really, only) place to get that info into your application is through a LoR.

feistyone22

Postby feistyone22 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks. I decided to just leave it be. I took the classes, I can stand behind them. If they see that my less awesome grades are in really high level math classes, great. If not, so be it. I appreciate the advice!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”