Can quitting a job affect admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlueJeanBaby

Can quitting a job affect admissions?

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Could quitting my job affect my admissions decisions? Do I need to make the law school aware that I quit my job? What about getting fired.. would one need to report that they were fired? The former I am actually thinking of doing, the latter I am simply curious about.

BlueJeanBaby

Re: Can quitting a job affect admissions?

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:29 pm

bump, please

North

Postby North » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Lol at bumping after 20 minutes on a Sunday.

No, it won't matter if you quit. If, however, you get fired with cause (as opposed to being laid off), that might raise some red flags. Avoid that. Otherwise, like most things in LS admissions, it's not that important.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:48 pm

North wrote:Lol at bumping after 20 minutes on a Sunday.

No, it won't matter if you quit. If, however, you get fired with cause (as opposed to being laid off), that might raise some red flags. Avoid that. Otherwise, like most things in LS admissions, it's not that important.

But if you quit, do you have to tell them? Thank you for your response. Sorry for the bump, my mind is just racing.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:49 pm

weren't you already outed as an alt?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:weren't you already outed as an alt?

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51 pm

What does that have to do with the question?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:52 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

You've been through this process already...

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

You've been through this process already...

I've never quit a job in the midst of applying to law schools and I really have no idea the protocol for it. I don't know if I am supposed to call and inform the law school or if it doesn't matter enough.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Why do you need to quit your job while you are applying to law school?

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:55 pm

TheThriller wrote:Why do you need to quit your job while you are applying to law school?

I don't NEED to quit my job, I want to. I have another part time job that I like much more and I am also a student. I am just worried that I will be required to call and let the places I've applied know and it will look bad :(.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:07 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
TheThriller wrote:Why do you need to quit your job while you are applying to law school?

I don't NEED to quit my job, I want to. I have another part time job that I like much more and I am also a student. I am just worried that I will be required to call and let the places I've applied know and it will look bad :(.

I'm sure schools will care ab your other incidents more.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:07 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I quit after my apps and did not update. Did not matter at all.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:14 pm

It's pretty unlikely that it will come up. Schools rarely ask for resume updates.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm

I can't see how this would possibly matter to anyone. Who cares if you quit your job? If you got shit-canned for stealing stuff, that would be different, especially if the application asked about your past terminations. But quitting? You should only disclose this if you backed out of a contract with an obvious standard length (Teach for America, for example). Otherwise, how could you catch shit for this? Are you supposed to update the admissions office with every minute detail of your life?

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:44 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:I can't see how this would possibly matter to anyone. Who cares if you quit your job? If you got shit-canned for stealing stuff, that would be different, especially if the application asked about your past terminations. But quitting? You should only disclose this if you backed out of a contract with an obvious standard length (Teach for America, for example). Otherwise, how could you catch shit for this? Are you supposed to update the admissions office with every minute detail of your life?

No but I put it on my resume as my current position. Since they are assessing me with this information, I didn't know how important it is that it be updated and accurate.

Also, what about jobs that are contracted for a certain length of time? Are those more important?

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:53 pm

When you sent in your application, it was your current position. You didn't lie and its not that big of a difference. If you want to update them with the fact that you quit, go on ahead. However if you don't, I doubt that it would hurt you. You planned on quitting anyway when you head to law school, didn't you? Also, if you have a stupid/immature reason for quitting (my boss picked on me, etc.) then disclosing could actually hurt you. Its all up to you, but if I was you, I wouldn't say shit.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:When you sent in your application, it was your current position. You didn't lie and its not that big of a difference. If you want to update them with the fact that you quit, go on ahead. However if you don't, I doubt that it would hurt you. You planned on quitting anyway when you head to law school, didn't you? Also, if you have a stupid/immature reason for quitting (my boss picked on me, etc.) then disclosing could actually hurt you. Its all up to you, but if I was you, I wouldn't say shit.

Okay, thank you.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Backing out of a well-known standard length contract early, such as the Peace Corps and TFA (2 years each), could really look bad unless done for a great reason and on good terms. This is when you should disclose quitting early, because if they read your resume as having worked for TFA from Aug 2011-present, they will assume that you'll be there for 2 whole years, and not disclosing this change of plans would be disingenuous and could severely hurt you when it comes to C&F for the bar. If you quit working at Starbucks in October after sending in an app in Sept with it listed as your "current job" no one will give a shit.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:02 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:Backing out of a well-known standard length contract early, such as the Peace Corps and TFA (2 years each), could really look bad unless done for a great reason and on good terms. This is when you should disclose quitting early, because if they read your resume as having worked for TFA from Aug 2011-present, they will assume that you'll be there for 2 whole years, and not disclosing this change of plans would be disingenuous and could severely hurt you when it comes to C&F for the bar. If you quit working at Starbucks in October after sending in an app in Sept with it listed as your "current job" no one will give a shit.

Really? You think not updating schools that you left TFA would "severely hurt you when it comes to C&F"? Nope, nope, nope.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:14 pm

I said "could" and not "would." Sure, the odds are that you'd be fine, but why not limit your liability and cover your ass? Do you have relevant experience suggesting that working for TFA for only a few months, yet allowing law schools to assume you fulfilled your commitment and thus treat you differently based upon that assumption (fee waivers, scholarships, etc.), would not negatively reflect on your ethics? Seems doubtful to me.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:I said "could" and not "would." Sure, the odds are that you'd be fine, but why not limit your liability and cover your ass? Do you have relevant experience suggesting that working for TFA for only a few months, yet allowing law schools to assume you fulfilled your commitment and thus treat you differently based upon that assumption (fee waivers, scholarships, etc.), would not negatively reflect on your ethics? Seems doubtful to me.

C&F isn't really a review of your ethical conduct. It is more a check on your honesty when asked to disclose. Obviously accepting a TFA alum specific scholarship would be a bad idea, but as long as you were a member when you applied and then tell C&F the truth about leaving, this isn't going to stop you front getting barred.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”