Multiple LSATs during a application cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
collegebum1989

Bronze

Multiple LSATs during a application cycle

Post by collegebum1989 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 am

Splitter here, 3.2 GPA, took the October LSAT and underscored (165-169), so I'm looking to retake in December for a 171+.

The problem is, I'm also planning to apply ED. My school of choice are Penn and UVA, which are more receptive to splitters. The only question is when to apply. My apps are all complete besides my LSAT, so I can still apply by 11/15 for Penn's Round 1 Deadline.

I'm not sure whether it is possible to apply later after being denied within the same app cycle with a better LSAT. Can someone state whether this is possible? Should I just wait until December LSAT comes out and apply in Jan?

Thanks!

collegebum1989

Bronze

Re: Multiple LSATs during a application cycle

Post by collegebum1989 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Bump, any insight?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 pm

You can ED to one school and apply to other schools until the ED school admits you - which might not happen. Once accepted by the ED school, you must withdraw all other applications regardless of scholarship offerings. If denied by the ED school it's perfectly fine to apply to other schools, take additional LSAT's, etc. Even if your ED school waitlists you or defers your application into the general pool, you can then apply to other schools. If you re-take the LSAT, you might even ask the ED school for reconsideration. At a few schools, like USC (CA), denial decisions are final barring exceptional circumstances.

As for your last question, ED is not a good idea for most competitive applicants at top schools (as a splitter, you are a competitive applicant). You put yourself at a disadvantage for negotiating aid or changing your mind if there is a change in your needs. I tell every applicant to apply like you are ED but don't ED, i.e. apply as early as possible - putting together the best applications you can. Winning the admissions game is all about maximizing your chances of admission and high scholarship awards while keeping your flexibility.

Ex Cearulo

Bronze

Post by Ex Cearulo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:Splitter here, 3.2 GPA, took the October LSAT and underscored (165-169), so I'm looking to retake in December for a 171+.

The problem is, I'm also planning to apply ED. My school of choice are Penn and UVA, which are more receptive to splitters. The only question is when to apply. My apps are all complete besides my LSAT, so I can still apply by 11/15 for Penn's Round 1 Deadline.

I'm not sure whether it is possible to apply later after being denied within the same app cycle with a better LSAT. Can someone state whether this is possible? Should I just wait until December LSAT comes out and apply in Jan?

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat, 3.24 and waiting for my Oct LSAT. Likely going to ED to Northwestern unless the LSAT score is just horrendous. Regardless, I'm going ask them to please hold my application and consider for RD after my December LSAT if they don't admit me ED. Conventional wisdom says if you're a competitive candidate in any sense, they're not going to ding you for ED and never look at you again, especially if you tell them ahead of time you have another LSAT score on the way.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm

HawgDriver wrote:
I'm in the same boat, 3.24 and waiting for my Oct LSAT. Likely going to ED to Northwestern unless the LSAT score is just horrendous. Regardless, I'm going ask them to please hold my application and consider for RD after my December LSAT if they don't admit me ED.
You will not have to request holdover if rejected ED. Ninety-Nine times out of a hundred, they will throw you into the general application pool if they don't admit or waitlist you ED. The ED decision only becomes final at Northwestern if (1) you are such a poor candidate that they wouldn't waste their time, (2) your interview really-REALLY sucked, or (3) the adcom somehow gets the impression that you have absolutely no intention of attending even if admitted (don't know how that would happen).

If you live in Chicago, you must interview on campus, so absolutely do so! Stay in touch but don't bug the office. Dean Johan Lee is an excellent contact...really cool guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 pm

PDaddy wrote:You can ED to one school and apply to other schools until the ED school admits you - which might not happen. Once accepted by the ED school, you must withdraw all other applications regardless of scholarship offerings. If denied by the ED school it's perfectly fine to apply to other schools, take additional LSAT's, etc. Even if your ED school waitlists you or defers your application into the general pool, you can then apply to other schools. If you re-take the LSAT, you might even ask the ED school for reconsideration. At a few schools, like USC (CA), denial decisions are final barring exceptional circumstances.

As for your last question, ED is not a good idea for most competitive applicants at top schools (as a splitter, you are a competitive applicant). You put yourself at a disadvantage for negotiating aid or changing your mind if there is a change in your needs. I tell every applicant to apply like you are ED but don't ED, i.e. apply as early as possible - putting together the best applications you can. Winning the admissions game is all about maximizing your chances of admission and high scholarship awards while keeping your flexibility.
Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty sure about my top choice and that's why I am ED-ing to it. Financial scholarships aren't that important to me because I have family who will cover expenses and trying to get into the best school possible to enter NYC/D.C. I believe I am at a disadvantage because of my GPA, and so I am EDing to schools with the largest boost.

I am just afraid that LSAT is so important that it may be more important to wait until January to apply with a better school as opposed to November with a lower score. Obviously, it depends on the score (ex. 172 Dec > 164 Oct vs. 170 Oct > 171 Dec, etc). Just wanted to know whether it was possible to update apps for reconsideration.

Thanks!

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 am

Also a going to be a December re-taker. Is December/January to late to start applying for this cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”