Possible 2nd bac BSEE. Apply/defer/wait?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Possible 2nd bac BSEE. Apply/defer/wait?

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Some circumstances have allowed me the ability to complete a second bachelor's in electrical engineering by summer 2014 without taking on any debt. I've been heavily interested in IP (specifically patent prosecution) for a while, but lack a means to become patent bar eligible without enrolling for 3-4 classes in the spring (and only under category B). I graduated with a degree in poli sci, 95% of a math degree, and about 70% of a physics degree. (I didn't finish the math degree because it would have required an extra semester and I started a math graduate program that I later withdrew from).

I've been out of school for about 5 years, and my applications are nearly finished. That said, if I end up re-enrolling to complete this BSEE, I'll have to defer or reapply next cycle.

Based on the research I've done online and people I've talked to, it seems like investing in the degree will significantly improve my prospects for a job (as opposed to cat-B qualification akin to slightly less than a physics BS).

My numbers are 3.4/168 (retook in Oct and very optimistic). Some things I'm trying to weigh:

* Is it better to apply now, haggle for scholarships, then defer next year, or should I hold off?

* How will this cycle compare to next cycle? Will things further deflate or rebound or remain the same?

* Should I address this possibility of deferment in my application, and if so, how? (probably a death sentence to mention but unsure)

* All 3 of my LORs should be completed by the end of October. However, if I do this, I feel like I should take them into consideration and either ask them to write them now or wait until next summer, or give them the option.... not sure what to do about LOR professors. They all know me well and are happy to write, but this was the second time I approached them (originally in 2007), so I'm cautious about asking them to hold off again...

* I could potentially take the LSAT a third time if I don't get a score I'm happy with and still get apps in early (next cycle).

* If I end up ever deciding law school isn't for me at any point in the next 4.5 years, I think the EE degree will be much better to fall back on rather than my popcorn poli sci degree. My WE since graduation consists of living/teaching abroad and some graduate school.

* If I go through with this plan to re-enroll, in what ways can I end up worse off? (I'm having difficulty thinking of any, aside from flunking out or six times as many people applying next cycle...)

* I'm 26 and would be 28 when graduating with this second bachelor's, and 31 after law school. I feel like I shouldn't wait forever, but this line of thinking also reeks of sunk cost fallacy.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by cahwc12 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Possible 2nd bac BSEE. Apply and defer? Apply next cycle?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Admissions have been getting easy and easier. I wouldn't bother applying now.

Go do the EE program, and get a couple years experience in engineering. IF you like EE, don't do law. If after a few years you do like EE? Well, T1, with good EE grades and 2 years of work experience? Big law SECURE.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Possible 2nd bac BSEE. Apply and defer? Apply next cycle?

Postby bp shinners » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:Admissions have been getting easy and easier. I wouldn't bother applying now.

Go do the EE program, and get a couple years experience in engineering. IF you like EE, don't do law. If after a few years you do like EE? Well, T1, with good EE grades and 2 years of work experience? Big law SECURE.


And patent lawyers are one of the few subsets of lawyers that have decent job satisfaction rates. I'd definitely recommend doing what Desert Fox suggests.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Possible 2nd bac BSEE. Apply and defer? Apply next cycle?

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:23 pm

bump

I've been getting fee waivers from some T14's that I never thought I'd have a chance at and it's really making me reconsider this decision to apply now or do the BSEE.

UVA, Penn, Duke and now Michigan have sent me fee waivers. My LSAT is only 168, and my retake was somehow worse (very depressing 166 after PTing ~174 for 2 months prior). I still genuinely feel that I could score better, but I could just be deluding myself because although I felt I dropped the ball for my 168 in June, I really felt like I did well on October's test, and I somehow scored even worse. I'd have bet my soul I didn't score below 170.

That said, if it's the case that 168 is my peak after months and months of prep (since January this year), is it worth the debt for these mid- and lower T14? I'm pretty risk averse, and while I'm confident I would do well, I still fear being "that guy" who graduates with $300k debt and without the job to boot.


Will next cycle be more competitive, the same, less competitive than it is now? I would love to attend one of these schools, but the debt loads are so enormous and after the 166 on my retake, my confidence in being able to break the 99% has been crushed.


Lastly, I self-identify as hispanic (cuban) but do not plan to make it the focal point of my application. At least Michigan's fee waiver seems to be because I'm cuban rather than because of my gpa/lsat. I'm not going to decline any sort of minority advantage this gets me, but I also don't want to be getting in these schools because of my status as a minority applicant (and thought only Mexican/AA received the "minority boost"). Are things changing due to the application climate, where any self-identified minority gets a tangible advantage now?

Please advise.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests