Law School Admission FAQ's

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
n2lynn

Law School Admission FAQ's

Postby n2lynn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Hello all. I am considering returning to Grad School in effort to obtain my law degree. I reside in Southeast Missouri. I am seeking advice as to which college(s), online or on campus, would be beneficial as well as general FAQ's regarding the enrollment process. I would like to add that I am a Mother of two wonderful children therefore convience and flexibility would be essential. Any information would be very much appreciated. Thank to all for any and/or all advice. :)

Ex Cearulo

Re: Law School Admission FAQ's

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:47 am

Hi lynn,

I'm applying this cycle, but I've done enough research over the last year to at least get you started.

To be blunt, there are a lot of questions you'll have to answer on your own which will help you figure out which law schools you should look at (or if law school is even the correct choice for you). No one person who gives you a serious reply here will be able to outline everything you need to know. The various forums here have tons of great information. I recommend taking several days, if not weeks, to read things here as well as other places on the web to learn as much as you can about the application process, being a law school student, and life as a lawyer. But, operating under the assumption that law school is right for you and you definitely decide to do it, here is the big thing to consider:

- Why do you want to go to law school?

If the answer is simply because you're bored, looking for a "challenge", or trying to expand your horizons, etc, etc, and you may not even want to practice law when you graduate, then your focus should be on finding the least expensive, most flexible option out there. That probably means a part-time program at a state public school, which probably means moving your family (I don't know anything about specific law schools in or near Missouri). Your family situation also plays a role here. It's none of my business and I'm not asking, but if you're a single mother and/or if your children are young, a part-time program is probably better as it will allow you more flexibility and also the option to keep working. This is coming from a father of two kids under the age of 5 who couldn't imagine doing a full-time program without any help.

If the answer is you want to start a new career, practice full time and make $80-100k+ a year, you're looking at trying to get into one of the best law schools in the country, or at the very least a state flagship with strong regional appeal. In either case, you largely limit flexibility both with your school options and with your job after school (assuming you can even find one...) which will be very demanding of your time.

As far as online goes, I don't know much at all about online programs and I haven't seen them discussed at all here. This probably means they're worthless. I don't believe there are any American Bar Association-accredited online law schools, which means your chances for getting a job with an online law degree are pretty much nil. Unless you just really want a piece of paper that says "Juris Doctor" on it, you're better off spending your money on an online Masters from a reputable school.

Other things you will have to consider as you get into the process are things like "How much debt can you afford to take on?" and "Are you willing to move your family to go to law school?" The more of these questions you can answer, the more clear your options will become as you get closer to pulling the trigger and starting the application process.

Hope this helps.

Clarity

Re: Law School Admission FAQ's

Postby Clarity » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:13 am

n2lynn wrote:Hello all. I am considering returning to Grad School in effort to obtain my law degree. I reside in Southeast Missouri. I am seeking advice as to which college(s), online or on campus, would be beneficial as well as general FAQ's regarding the enrollment process. I would like to add that I am a Mother of two wonderful children therefore convience and flexibility would be essential. Any information would be very much appreciated. Thank to all for any and/or all advice. :)

I wouldn't look into online law degrees.

Here are schools in Missouri: programs.php?state=mo

You could also check out neighboring states to find out if there are any law schools near you. You can do that here: https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/ ... fault.aspx

Does MU Law offer evening courses/can I attend part time?

No. MU's School of Law does not offer any evening or weekend courses, nor do we offer any distance learning courses. The law school is primarily a full-time day program however some students are enrolled in a reduced course-load basis (6-11 hours per semester) during the day. Students electing this option must complete all courses within seven calendar years.

http://law.missouri.edu/admissions/faq.html

8. Do you have a part-time program?

Yes, we have a part-time program, which allows students to attend law school on a part-time basis during the day. The part-time program allows the student a maximum of five years to complete the program and obtain the J.D. degree. Please visit our on-line catalog for more information.

http://www1.law.umkc.edu/admissions/faqs.htm

I would first come up with schools near where you live then request some information from them. Find out if they have part time programs or allow for part time enrollment. There are other things to consider as well such as the cost of attendance along with job prospects. The basics you will need to know after you check into some schools and decide you still are interested include your LSAC GPA (which is your undergraduate GPA): http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/ and take a diagnostic practice LSAT: (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... vh_2g4sbZg). Since you said "returning to grad school" I thought I should clarify that your undergraduate GPA is the GPA law school will be considering when making an admissions decision. The consensus is if you have a graduate school GPA it would be considered a soft factor. Meaning admission committees may consider it an edge over another application that has the same numbers as you do.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”