How to ask for a LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sirilu91

How to ask for a LOR

Postby sirilu91 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:13 pm

what is the best way to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation? Is it okay for me to email her to take an appointment and then ask her at the appointment for a rec, or should I just ask in the email itself and tell her I'd like to meet with her to discuss?

I know I'm late in the game, I go to a very large school and its particularly difficult to get to know professors.

RickyDnwhyc

Re: How to ask for a LOR

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:16 pm

sirilu91 wrote:what is the best way to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation? Is it okay for me to email her to take an appointment and then ask her at the appointment for a rec, or should I just ask in the email itself and tell her I'd like to meet with her to discuss?

I know I'm late in the game, I go to a very large school and its particularly difficult to get to know professors.

Tell me about it, I'm almost 2 years out of school and I only know one Prof who will write me an LOR, I doubt the others remember who I am. Thinking I'll just email all of them and ask for an LOR, I'm sure a few of them have basic copy/paste LORs that they give out like candy. That'll do pig.

jgconte

Re: How to ask for a LOR

Postby jgconte » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:23 pm

My attitude is that if you feel awkward asking for a LOR, then that LOR wont be anything phenomenal. That means you have to put in some prep work. If you put in extra time to the class, attend or lead study groups, help the professor with research or something more than just attend the class, then asking for LOR will be a lot easier than just hey Im joe, I got an A in your class. I think taking different classes with the same professor during different years of school is also a plus, they can comment on your intellectual growth.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”