do we have to meet with prelaw advisors Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
longagofaraway30

New

do we have to meet with prelaw advisors

Post by longagofaraway30 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 am

simple question: do we have to meet with prelaw advisors at our uni before applying to law school?

or can we just do the whole process independently?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: do we have to meet with prelaw advisors

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 am

Since most pre-law advisors have no idea what they're talking about and give absolutely TERRIBLE advice, you're better off staying as far away as possible. TLS tells you everything you need to know.

Seriously.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 am

^ that

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:44 am

Me in the fall of 2009: Hello Pre-Law advisor lady. I have a 17x on the LSAT, My GPA is about 3.8. And, I hear it kind of helps to be an AA Male. What schools should I look at?

Pre-Law advisor lady: Well, obviously there are great schools like Berkeley and Georgetown. But, don't look past schools who give scholarships like Cooley, which is in Michigan, or even here at big state u.

No bullshit.

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:47 am

Davidbentley wrote:Me in the fall of 2009: Hello Pre-Law advisor lady. I have a 17x on the LSAT, My GPA is about 3.8. And, I hear it kind of helps to be an AA Male. What schools should I look at?

Pre-Law advisor lady: Well, obviously there are great schools like Berkeley and Georgetown. But, don't look past schools who give scholarships like Cooley, which is in Michigan, or even here at big state u.

No bullshit.
Jesus Christ. That should be a fucking malpractice lawsuit. Prelaw advisors should be held to a higher standard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:53 am

Davidbentley wrote:Me in the fall of 2009: Hello Pre-Law advisor lady. I have a 17x on the LSAT, My GPA is about 3.8. And, I hear it kind of helps to be an AA Male. What schools should I look at?

No bullshit.
That's just pathetic.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:06 am

SuperCerealBrah wrote:

No bullshit.
Jesus Christ. That should be a fucking malpractice lawsuit. Prelaw advisors should be held to a higher standard.
Can you really fault them? Under what circumstances do you suppose someone becomes a pre-law advisor? Someone who never quite figured it out himself. If he had figured it out, he would either be telling you to study and get in a top law school, or (even better) run far, far away and never return.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am

The pre-law advisor LSAC had listed for my school didn't even work there anymore by the time I took my LSAT. I wouldn't be surprised if it still hasn't been updated.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:39 am

They told a friend of mine who had a 4.0 gpa that since she had a "W" on her community college transcript from dual enrolling in high school, she would never get in to any law school so she should give up now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

luxlisbon

New

Post by luxlisbon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Since most pre-law advisors have no idea what they're talking about and give absolutely TERRIBLE advice, you're better off staying as far away as possible. TLS tells you everything you need to know.

Seriously.
This. I have no idea how my pre-law advisor qualified for that position.

longagofaraway30

New

Post by longagofaraway30 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 pm

lmao wow.

thanks for the replies. i was just making sure it wasn't a required part of the application process or whatnot to either meet with an advisor or alert the school somehow. a lot of posts on this forum have mentioned that some unis keep track of what law schools its students historically get accepted into within a certain range of stats, so i thought maybe part of the application process is done through the school, or that they get notified of your lsat scores, etc.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:31 pm

dont bother with them. focus on your grades and your LSAT and get solid LOR's and check this site out ( TLS) and go from there. But before you bother with this, do some serious soul searching ( and not with a bottle of whisky... well maybe, but make sure to do some sober thinking too) about why you are pursuing Law and what you want to do.... then take a year off and do something fun, then go.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm

before you write off pre-law advisors entirely, at least reach out a LITTLE just to be sure. The prelaw advisor at my UG was actually pretty helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Do it on your own. Don't make the mistake of sitting down with the prelaw adviser. You will save a ton of time just doing it on your own.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 pm

you will find any and all info that you need on TLS. I met with my university's previous pre-law advisor a few times, and he actually knew what he was talking about. Then he retired his post and this other person took over who knew absolutely nothing and let Kaplan hijack the pre-law listserv. So, I never went back.

underperformingurm

New

Post by underperformingurm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:before you write off pre-law advisors entirely, at least reach out a LITTLE just to be sure. The prelaw advisor at my UG was actually pretty helpful.
This. The one at my undergrad was very helpful and was aware of sites like lawschooltransparency.com and encouraged her students to seriously reconsider going law school if they couldn't get into strong programs.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:50 pm

underperformingurm wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:before you write off pre-law advisors entirely, at least reach out a LITTLE just to be sure. The prelaw advisor at my UG was actually pretty helpful.
This. The one at my undergrad was very helpful and was aware of sites like lawschooltransparency.com and encouraged her students to seriously reconsider going law school if they couldn't get into strong programs.
And this is more helpful than TLS how?

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:57 pm

I would, but not so much for the advice but to ask if they can help you find out people from your UG who are attending schools that you're interested in, or who are practicing in your area of interest. Never hurts to take advantage of a really easy networking opportunity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”