GPA/Probation Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eyescream

GPA/Probation Addendum

Postby eyescream » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 pm

LSAC GPA: 3.33
Undergraduate GPA: 3.6

Why the difference? When I first started community college, I decided to work full time at the same time. I was young and couldn't balance school and work, and I was placed on probation for a semester. Since then, there's been a strong upward trend ranging from 3.6-4.0 through 18 hour course loads and part-time work.

Worth the addendum? Does it sound too whiny?

Thanks in advance for the input.

senorhosh

Re: GPA/Probation Addendum

Postby senorhosh » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 pm

I think most schools require you to give an addendum anyway since for the C&F portion you have to answer "yes" to the academic probation question.

Otherwise I wouldn't send it.

eyescream

Postby eyescream » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 pm

You're right. Thanks much for the quick response. Appreciate it.

North

Postby North » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Yeah dude, you're required to. I'm going through the same thing. It's a shame that freshman academic probation is lumped together with plagiarism and the like.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I wasn't placed on probation, but I was given Academic Warning (which at my school is a precursor to probation given after one semester of fucking up). Should I include anything about that? Or just leave it?

North

Postby North » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:34 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I wasn't placed on probation, but I was given Academic Warning (which at my school is a precursor to probation given after one semester of fucking up). Should I include anything about that? Or just leave it?

Yeah, include it. Check out the wording on Shadow's C&F AppReqs thread. All of the T14 word their C&F section broadly enough to reasonably include academic warnings. Some do so specifically. Stanford is the only school that leaves it a bit up to interpretation:
Stanford wrote:Have you ever at any college or university been in other than good standing because of academic deficiencies, been censured for misconduct, or been the subject of disciplinary proceedings?

So, if your warning meant that you weren't in good standing, then yes. If not, then maybe you don't have to. H, Y, and G aren't listed yet. I have a warning too and plan to just go ahead and disclose it everywhere out of caution. Shouldn't be a big deal. But, again, it's a shame we have to check the yes box on that page.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm

eyescream wrote: I decided to work full time at the same time.

Working full time can be a good topic for an explanatory essay, especially if your grades went up immediately after leaving the job.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”