February LSAT's Effect on Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
derekdissell

February LSAT's Effect on Admissions

Postby derekdissell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:51 pm

I am taking the LSAT in February because I was unsure until recently that I want to attend law school and didn't do enough research to realize that it is the last test offered in the cycle. It looks like LSAC only does partial refunds.

Should I not apply this year? Some of my target schools are Duke, Georgetown, Cornell, Ohio State, Michigan, Case Western, Cincy, Fordham, and Texas. Would I be at a serious disadvantage if I apply?

Thanks

derekdissell

Re: February LSAT's Effect on Admissions

Postby derekdissell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Also, I do not graduate until May. Will that also have an effect, as my transcript will be partially incomplete?

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Like take the LSAT in February and start school in the fall? For some of those schools I think their deadline makes it so they won't accept the February LSAT. I'm applying to a pretty wide range of schools and some have a deadlines in early-mid February and some say they'll take applications up until the end of July. As far as your transcript I think as long as you don't zone out and fail every class you're OK. I already graduated so I haven't looked into it but I'm sure each school has a policy on their website, you definitely won't be the only person applying who hasn't graduated yet.

North

Postby North » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 pm

February is too late -- you put yourself at a significant disadvantage applying that late. Wait a cycle, get some work experience, and study hard for June.

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Definitely wait until next cycle. That will also give you a chance to potentially retake the LSAT if needed.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:03 pm

It won't hurt to take it February and see what happenes. Last year law schools were so desperate for highly-qualified applicants that they were allowing exceptions to their deadlines long into the summer for people with numbers they wanted. Some people who applied during the late spring/early summer were able to negotiate large scholarships as well. Given the continued drop in applicants (for good reason), the same thing is likely to occur this summer as well. Of course, you might also want to consider why so many people are deciding not to go at all.

Worst case scenario is that you can still use your February score next cycle--but you might still get a great deal this year, too.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”