Resume Help - 2 UG Universities? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jackbauer10

Bronze

Resume Help - 2 UG Universities?

Post by jackbauer10 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 pm

:)
Last edited by jackbauer10 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPerez

Bronze

Re: Resume Help - 2 UG Universities?

Post by SPerez » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 pm

jackbauer10 wrote:I've now been out of school for a couple years, so I'll also be including current and past employment on my resume as well. Does anyone know protocol on how I should organize it all onto 1 page? Or any tips? I just don't want it to look like my life is all over the place . . .
Many schools, us included, do not limit the resume to 1 page. If you've been out of school a while and have the work history and undergrad involvement to fill 2 pages without it looking like you're just trying to fill space, I say do it.

This isn't really a "situation" of any consequence, really. Most people list only their degree-granting school on their resume and not every community college, etc. school they attended. However, in your case, I can see why you would want to so that you could list that you were a varsity athlete. The stuff about the disparity in your grades would go in a separate addendum so that's not a resume issue, per se.

As for organization, I know out in the business world there is much advice to put your strengths at the top, i.e. your education if you're fresh out of school or have impressive degrees and your jobs if you have a long work history that's more relevant to what you're trying to do. Personally, I get super annoyed when I don't see academics (college attended, major, honors, etc.) at the top of resumes in law school applications, but that could just be me.

Stephen M. Perez
Asst. Dean of Admissions, Texas Tech

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:49 pm

SPerez wrote: This isn't really a "situation" of any consequence, really. Most people list only their degree-granting school on their resume and not every community college, etc. school they attended. However, in your case, I can see why you would want to so that you could list that you were a varsity athlete. The stuff about the disparity in your grades would go in a separate addendum so that's not a resume issue, per se.

Stephen M. Perez
Asst. Dean of Admissions, Texas Tech
Thank you so much for your response. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by jackbauer10 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:21 pm

jackbauer10 wrote: Do you think including sports-related honors on my resume would be wise? For instance I was the team's Community Service Coordinator and also voted Most Improved Player my freshman season.
I think that's exactly the kind of thing that goes on a resume.

Dean Perez

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”