Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby laotze » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Stanford and NYU are currently at the top of my reach list, and I am trying to decide which one to apply to ED. My numbers are extremely reachy for either (165 and 3.95 from a good-but-not-great lib arts college), but I believe the rest of my application is quite strong for reasons I won't bore you all with here. I'm applying to plenty of more numerically suitable targets/safeties, so I'd rather not be lectured on the general unlikelihood of my reaches if it's all the same to everyone.

That said, I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to use my binding ED for NYU, my number one favorite pick but for which I have next to nil chances of admission (being at the absolute lowest percentage of their score range), or for Stanford, my slightly less favored pick but for which I have a little better chance with the Black Box.

Stanford seems like the obvious choice prima facie since NYU is more likely to toss out my app based on the numbers alone, but at the same time I feel like ED might be the little nudge that gets NYU to consider the rest of my app. Plus, I might already have a marginally decent (by which I mean very, very low, but not non-existent) chance at Stanford without the ED anyway.

Thoughts?
Last edited by laotze on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Stanford does not offer binding early decision.

Also, Stanford is much, much harder to get into than NYU. If you think you will have a tough time at NYU you have no shot at Stanford. Don't be fooled by the 25th and 75th percentile ranges.

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby laotze » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Well, that answers that. On your second point, though, in what way would you say Stanford is harder to get into than NYU? Based on higher ratio of applications:acceptances?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm

laotze wrote:Well, that answers that. On your second point, though, in what way would you say Stanford is harder to get into than NYU? Based on higher ratio of applications:acceptances?

non-numerical factors.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:16 pm

laotze wrote:Well, that answers that. On your second point, though, in what way would you say Stanford is harder to get into than NYU? Based on higher ratio of applications:acceptances?


NYU takes just about everybody above a certain numbers threshold. They have a huge class and aren't as sought after as Stanford, so they are forced to accept lots of people. NYU might be the most predictable school in the T-14, and perhaps anywhere.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

Stanford, meanwhile, turns down tons of applicants with great numbers. Their class is less than half the size of NYU's, they aren't terribly concerned about their LSAT median (170, compared to 173 for peers Yale and Harvard) and they really look for people with interesting backgrounds. That said, they do still require strong numbers; only one applicant on LSN who was not an underrepresented minority got in last year with an LSAT below 170.

http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

Look at all of the green on the NYU graph and all of the red, even among the most numerically qualified applicants, on the Stanford graph.

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby laotze » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks, that definitely gives a clearer picture of the odds.

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby Anonymous4444 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:34 pm

I'd try NYU. Stanford doesnt have early decision but forgetting that, Stanford's class size of under 200 will be much harder to get into than NYU. To be honest you should do ED to Penn which is tied for 7 and youd probably have a better shot.... good luck

User avatar
applepiecrust
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:I'd try NYU. Stanford doesnt have early decision but forgetting that, Stanford's class size of under 200 will be much harder to get into than NYU. To be honest you should do ED to Penn which is tied for 7 and youd probably have a better shot.... good luck


Credited. I know people with worse numbers who got into Penn ED.

User avatar
Mr. Frodo
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby Mr. Frodo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:22 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:I'd try NYU. Stanford doesnt have early decision but forgetting that, Stanford's class size of under 200 will be much harder to get into than NYU. To be honest you should do ED to Penn which is tied for 7 and youd probably have a better shot.... good luck


Credited. I know people with worse numbers who got into Penn ED.


How much worse? I will be EDing to Penn with the results of October and a 4.08 in structural engineering. Curious.

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby abcde12345 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:How much worse? I will be EDing to Penn with the results of October and a 4.08 in structural engineering. Curious.


Why are you EDing penn with that GPA? Are you not expecting that high of an LSAT?

User avatar
Mr. Frodo
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby Mr. Frodo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:How much worse? I will be EDing to Penn with the results of October and a 4.08 in structural engineering. Curious.


Why are you EDing penn with that GPA? Are you not expecting that high of an LSAT?


Penn is essentially my dream school so I really just want to guarantee acceptance. I'm anticipating 165+ but regardless I'd like to apply this cycle and be at Penn next fall. Bad idea?

Penn ED's seem to work quite well according to LSN, and they're financial aid is generous (I have a sister there for UG).

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby abcde12345 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:Penn is essentially my dream school so I really just want to guarantee acceptance. I'm anticipating 165+ but regardless I'd like to apply this cycle and be at Penn next fall. Bad idea?

Penn ED's seem to work quite well according to LSN, and they're financial aid is generous (I have a sister there for UG).


Sounds reasonable. Good luck to you.
But I just have a question: Are you likely to get more money if you ED? Because if you wind up with a good LSAT, you have a good chance of getting a lot of money to a lot of places.
But if you really like penn I suppose what you're doing is the best practice.

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby laotze » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:49 am

Anonymous4444 wrote:I'd try NYU. Stanford doesnt have early decision but forgetting that, Stanford's class size of under 200 will be much harder to get into than NYU. To be honest you should do ED to Penn which is tied for 7 and youd probably have a better shot.... good luck


Thanks for the advice. I already feel (relatively) confident about Penn out of the box due to an encouraging conversation with the dean of admissions and my partner's current attendance there, but we'll see what happens.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 am

laotze wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:I'd try NYU. Stanford doesnt have early decision but forgetting that, Stanford's class size of under 200 will be much harder to get into than NYU. To be honest you should do ED to Penn which is tied for 7 and youd probably have a better shot.... good luck


Thanks for the advice. I already feel (relatively) confident about Penn out of the box due to an encouraging conversation with the dean of admissions and my partner's current attendance there, but we'll see what happens.

IF you break 170, please do not ED. Otherwise, yeah, it's a pretty good idea.

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Why aren't you retaking the LSAT? you have an amazing GPA, and if you can bump that score few more points you'll be a lock at NYU, probably with money. Hell, if you hit 170 you have a shot everywhere, including HYS (ok probably not Y). With apps down so much for the 3rd year in a row, this cycle will be a strange one. Imagine the possibilities....

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby laotze » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:48 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:Why aren't you retaking the LSAT? you have an amazing GPA, and if you can bump that score few more points you'll be a lock at NYU, probably with money. Hell, if you hit 170 you have a shot everywhere, including HYS (ok probably not Y). With apps down so much for the 3rd year in a row, this cycle will be a strange one. Imagine the possibilities....


I did retake the LSAT, and I scored a point lower. I continually ace Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning, but Logic Games are the death of me. No amount of practice has gotten me to the point where I can complete even half of the LG correctly in the allotted time. I don't know what it is, but I have sucked at those particular kinds of puzzles since childhood despite having no problems with symbolic logic (classical, predicate, modal, etc.) in undergrad.

EdgarWinter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby EdgarWinter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:23 am

.
Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Don't do binding ED. Scholarship money should considered before you accept anywhere.

Eva_Bates
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby Eva_Bates » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Stanford does not offer binding early decision.

Also, Stanford is much, much harder to get into than NYU. If you think you will have a tough time at NYU you have no shot at Stanford. Don't be fooled by the 25th and 75th percentile ranges.


Can you elaborate? Am very interested in this, and am wondering if you know why that is / how it is.

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby uvabro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:48 am

Because Stanford is arguably the best in the country to many applicants. Personally, I'd have taken it over Y or H. I know Yale has the prestige of being an undisputed 1, but nobody will doubt your credentials coming from 2/3. And just look at the grounds. The minor employment bump from Yale isn't worth the quality of life trade off to many. The gap between Stanford and Nyu is much bigger employment wise. Nyu is a top school but there's still pressure to be top 3rd. Stanford wouldn't have that even ITE.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Binding ED App: Stanford or NYU?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:18 am

Eva_Bates wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Stanford does not offer binding early decision.

Also, Stanford is much, much harder to get into than NYU. If you think you will have a tough time at NYU you have no shot at Stanford. Don't be fooled by the 25th and 75th percentile ranges.


Can you elaborate? Am very interested in this, and am wondering if you know why that is / how it is.

Stanford has extremely rigorous factors besides gpa and LSAT for admission. It seems that barring extraordinary numbers (at which point you're a lock for NYU, you have to have done something rather incredible to have a shot.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest