Measuring GPA quality

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Theopliske8711

Measuring GPA quality

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 pm

I have a 3.82 GPA from the University of Binghamton, SUNY. I know that puts me in the in in many law schools, granted I get a high enough GPA, but how to the T14 or T6 law schools consider GPA from state schools? My major was in the Classics (Greek and Latin). For instance, should I consider my GPA up to par with the 75% if I apply at, say, Berkeley, or, say, Stanford?

rayiner

Re: Measuring GPA quality

Postby rayiner » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I have a 3.82 GPA from the University of Binghamton, SUNY. I know that puts me in the in in many law schools, granted I get a high enough GPA, but how to the T14 or T6 law schools consider GPA from state schools? My major was in the Classics (Greek and Latin). For instance, should I consider my GPA up to par with the 75% if I apply at, say, Berkeley, or, say, Stanford?

Yes.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Your GPA is a 3.82. End of story.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I have a 3.82 GPA from the University of Binghamton, SUNY. I know that puts me in the in in many law schools, granted I get a high enough GPA, but how to the T14 or T6 law schools consider GPA from state schools? My major was in the Classics (Greek and Latin). For instance, should I consider my GPA up to par with the 75% if I apply at, say, Berkeley, or, say, Stanford?

Your GPA is just as good as a 3.82 from Yale or Harvard Business undergrad.

R86

Postby R86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:

or the University of Pheonix

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:46 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:

Harvard doesn't offer a business degree to undergrads. The only ivies that do are Penn and Cornell (sort of).

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm

hume85 wrote:
RickyDnwhyc wrote:

Harvard doesn't offer a business degree to undergrads. The only ivies that do are Penn and Cornell (sort of).

....................................... Thank you

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:

Well, if that's the case, thank you; that is fantastic! One of the things I was told when I was considering graduate school in classics was that I would not be able to get into any Ivy since even a Magna cum Laude at a medium state university was not really their cup of tea.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
RickyDnwhyc wrote:

Well, if that's the case, thank you; that is fantastic! One of the things I was told when I was considering graduate school in classics was that I would not be able to get into any Ivy since even a Magna cum Laude at a medium state university was not really their cup of tea.

Yeah that doesn't apply to Law School. It's a numbers game. Prestige of your undergraduate institution means jack, nil, zero.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Fellow classics kid here!

You're GPA is pretty awesome for someone with our major. Most of top 5-10% of the kids in my major at the moment only have around a 3.7 - 3.8

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm

TheThriller wrote:Fellow classics kid here!

You're GPA is pretty awesome for someone with our major. Most of top 5-10% of the kids in my major at the moment only have around a 3.7 - 3.8

Most of my college time was spent translating in the library. It came at a great cost.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:

Most of my college time was spent translating in the library. It came at a great cost.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There has come a point senior year when i've decided to consider all nouns ablative because I'm done trying

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:30 pm

TheThriller wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:

There has come a point senior year when i've decided to consider all nouns ablative because I'm done trying

I actually got screwed over in my last year. I was supposed to graduate in Fall but decided to push it to May to finish my thesis (still thinking I was going to go to Graduate school) and ended up taking some classes. Well, I started to lose my interest over that time and could barely keep myself up. I was still on to graduate for the Fall and they didn't remove me from the commencement ceremony, where I made it into the Summa list. Unfortunately, my last semester screwed me and brought me just .02 short of Summa...

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:

I actually got screwed over in my last year. I was supposed to graduate in Fall but decided to push it to May to finish my thesis (still thinking I was going to go to Graduate school) and ended up taking some classes. Well, I started to lose my interest over that time and could barely keep myself up. I was still on to graduate for the Fall and they didn't remove me from the commencement ceremony, where I made it into the Summa list. Unfortunately, my last semester screwed me and brought me just .02 short of Summa...

Good news is, with a solid LSAT score, you could be looking at HYS

Postby 20130312 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 pm

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 pm

im a dumb

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:53 pm

TheThriller wrote:
Good news is, with a solid LSAT score, you could be looking at HYS

That's great. I'm mainly looking at either Berkeley or NYU, but would love to try at Stanford.

PS: What constitutes as "solid"? I imagine 170 would be too low for at least HY, perhaps enough for S.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”