Highschool Information on resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Highschool Information on resume?

Postby Br3v » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Sure this has been asked 100 times but should I include highschool information on my resume? As in my gpa and volunteer work I did during highschool?

Otherwise it is pretty blank, not that that necesarily matters.

anonamouse
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Highschool Information on resume?

Postby anonamouse » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Br3v wrote:Sure this has been asked 100 times but should I include highschool information on my resume? As in my gpa and volunteer work I did during highschool?

Otherwise it is pretty blank, not that that necesarily matters.


http://www.top-law-schools.com/sample-resume.pdf

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Highschool Information on resume?

Postby gaud » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Maybe the volunteer work but not the high school stuff

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Highschool Information on resume?

Postby Br3v » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 pm

anonamouse wrote:
Br3v wrote:Sure this has been asked 100 times but should I include highschool information on my resume? As in my gpa and volunteer work I did during highschool?

Otherwise it is pretty blank, not that that necesarily matters.


http://www.top-law-schools.com/sample-resume.pdf


thanks

the volunteer work is from highschool though, so trash it?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Highschool Information on resume?

Postby gaud » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm not sure. I may keep it if it's substantial.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Highschool Information on resume?

Postby Br3v » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:36 pm

gaud wrote:I'm not sure. I may keep it if it's substantial.


Substancial enough I suppose, thanks.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Highschool Information on resume?

Postby North » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Wondered the same thing myself. Then I read this:

The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions: Straight Advice on Essays, Resumes, Interviews, and More wrote:High School
You don’t need to list your high school information in the Education section. Admissions officers aren’t usually interested in going back that far, and those who are ask where you went to high school on their application forms. You’re much better off using that space to elaborate on your post–high school life. There are some times when it does make sense to list your high school:  

• If you attended a nontraditional high school, like a performing arts high school
• If the law school you are applying to is located in the place where you grew up but haven’t lived in for a while, and listing your high school in your hometown will emphasize your connection to the community and give you credibility for wanting to go to law school there
• If you went to high school outside the United States

Also, while listing these kinds of high schools is fine, do not take up space with high school activities — you’ll look like one of those people who peaked in high school. If your participation in an activity started in high school and continued beyond it, you can list that in the Activities section with start and end dates.

User avatar
honeybadger12
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: Highschool Information on resume?

Postby honeybadger12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm

North wrote:Wondered the same thing myself. Then I read this:

The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions: Straight Advice on Essays, Resumes, Interviews, and More wrote:High School
You don’t need to list your high school information in the Education section. Admissions officers aren’t usually interested in going back that far, and those who are ask where you went to high school on their application forms. You’re much better off using that space to elaborate on your post–high school life. There are some times when it does make sense to list your high school:  

• If you attended a nontraditional high school, like a performing arts high school
• If the law school you are applying to is located in the place where you grew up but haven’t lived in for a while, and listing your high school in your hometown will emphasize your connection to the community and give you credibility for wanting to go to law school there
• If you went to high school outside the United States

Also, while listing these kinds of high schools is fine, do not take up space with high school activities — you’ll look like one of those people who peaked in high school. If your participation in an activity started in high school and continued beyond it, you can list that in the Activities section with start and end dates.

+1; I read the Ivey book so I may have only read it there but I'm pretty sure I've heard from several sources to exclude all high school info




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dan9257, retromuse and 5 guests