LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
piney
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 pm

LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby piney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 pm

I used several LSAC calculators online to calculate my LSAC GPA, and each one gave me 3.5. I sent in my transcript, and my academic sumary report says I have a 3.10. What's going on?

For example, freshman year I took 8 classes. I got a 3.7 (A-) in 6 of them and a 3.3 (B+) in 2 of them. That should come out to a 3.59, but the report says my GPA for that year was 3.13. Did LSAC make a mistake? How do I correct it?

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby bobbypin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Calling them does no good.
I used THEIR numbers in calculating my GPA. They made an error in calculation. I called. Nothing changed.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby bobbypin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm

piney wrote:I used several LSAC calculators online to calculate my LSAC GPA, and each one gave me 3.5. I sent in my transcript, and my academic sumary report says I have a 3.10. What's going on?

For example, freshman year I took 8 classes. I got a 3.7 (A-) in 6 of them and a 3.3 (B+) in 2 of them. That should come out to a 3.59, but the report says my GPA for that year was 3.13. Did LSAC make a mistake? How do I correct it?


It appears that LSAC removes the + / - from the letter grade when calculating the GPA. So an A- is treated as an A. B+ is treated as just a B.

Please correct me someone if I am wrong.

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:28 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby Big Dog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Please correct me someone if I am wrong.


Sorry, but that is incorrect. (google is your friend.)

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/academic-r ... rade-table
Last edited by Big Dog on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piney
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby piney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 pm

The junior year average is correct (3.59). For every other year, they subtracted .46 from what it should be. That doesn't make sense.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm

piney wrote:The junior year average is correct (3.59). For every other year, they subtracted .46 from what it should be. That doesn't make sense.



If you wouldn't mind posting it (anonymized) I'm sure we could help.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby bobbypin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm

VasaVasori wrote:This is definitely incorrect.

A+ is 4.33, A is 4, A- is 3.67, B+ is 3.33, B is 3, B- is 2.67, etc.


The removal of the + / - is the only explanation I was able to come up with to explain how LSAC calculated my GPA. Ah, the mysteries of LSAC...

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm

piney wrote:The junior year average is correct (3.59). For every other year, they subtracted .46 from what it should be. That doesn't make sense.

Without you providing us with your transcript and screen shots of the LSAC reports, there is no way for us to figure out what's wrong. You're going to have to email/call LSAC and ask for an explanation.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: LSAC messed up my academic sumamry report

Postby bobbypin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Please correct me someone if I am wrong.


Sorry, but that is incorrect. (google is your friend.)

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/academic-r ... rade-table


I must have fallen in the "* In some instances, a school's numeric grading scale might be converted differently than shown here." camp.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests