C & F Addendum Shoplifting at 15, HELP PLEASE

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
northface23

C & F Addendum Shoplifting at 15, HELP PLEASE

Postby northface23 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:45 pm

On November 19, 2006 I was charged with theft in the third degree, shoplifting, in XXXX. My case was handled as a diversion referral and handled informally. I met with a Diversion Officer with the Division of Juvenile Justice and subsequently referred to XXX Youth Court. In this process I completed 26 hours of community work service with a local Boys and Girls Club and my case was closed on January 22, 2007. Since my case was handled informally, there was never a conviction only this intervention. This indiscretion set me on a path to be an upstanding citizen and although I deeply regret this mistake, I believe that it helped me shape my life into a life that I can be proud of.

I'm really unsure on how to write this. Is this about how it should be done? Any advice/revisions are helpful. Thanks!

TTH

Re: C & F Addendum Shoplifting at 15, HELP PLEASE

Postby TTH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 pm

What you've written in OP is pretty much satisfactory. The only thing I would change would be to own what you did instead of merely saying, "I was charged with . . . " and add that you've not had any trouble with the law since then (provided it's true).

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 pm

I think I'd put in a few more sentences, nothing too dramatic but maybe where you were at 15, and something concrete that happened whether it be learning to work or experiencing something that led to you maturing.

northface23

Postby northface23 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks all, I'll revise with these recommendations.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:18 am

northface23 wrote:On November 19, 2006, I was charged with theft in the third degree (shoplifting) in XXXX. My case was handled informally. I met with a Diversion Officer from the Division of Juvenile Justice and was subsequently referred to XXX Youth Court. During this process, I completed 26 hours of community service with a local Boys and Girls Club, and my case was closed on January 22, 2007. Since my case was handled informally, there was never a conviction. I deeply regret this mistake, and I have maintained a clean record since then.

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

I would lose the "upstanding citizen" and "helped me shape my life into something i can be proud of" bits. Kind of overstated, maybe a little tacky. As others suggested, just mention that you learned your lesson and have had no subsequent problems.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”