How much does applying early help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shaloo

How much does applying early help?

Postby shaloo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I just took the October LSAT, and I'm pretty sure I could do better if I took it again in December. I've been planning on applying early, in November or so (not Early Decision), in hope that it would give me an edge over other applicants. But this article http://www.deloggio.com/completing/early%20myth.html says rolling admissions don't really help much. I don't know how reliable that website is, but now I'm considering cancelling my score, retaking it in December, and applying in January. Any advice on what's the best course of action? And if applying early does help, how many points would it make up for? If I think I can score 2 points higher, is it better to apply early or try to get 2 more points? What about 3 or 4 points?

rinkrat19

Re: How much does applying early help?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Check out when the admits (green line) start rolling in
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=191559

shaloo

Postby shaloo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. But I'm not sure the graphs really tell me enough about my circumstance. I mean, it could be that the people who were admitted early on got in because they were qualified and would have gotten in had they applied later too. The article I linked basically says, whether you apply early or late, if you're qualified they'll accept you, and if you're a borderline candidate and you apply early they'll just defer the decision on you until later when they get in more applications and then decide if they want you or not.

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Retake if you feel like you didn't do as well as you could have or think you're capable of doing better in December, it will be more advantageous than applying early if there's a solid difference in LSAT scores.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”