Improving your chances --- outside numbers and softs.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatdude222

Improving your chances --- outside numbers and softs.

Postby thatdude222 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Outside your numbers and softs on your application, what else might significantly influence an applicant's chances at acceptance if you're WL or at median/below median numbers? Do school visits matter? How seriously do schools tend to take contacting the admissions office and demonstrating that extra interest? How much do LOCI really improve your chances?

This probably depends on the school and the admissions office, but does anyone have any insight on this concerning schools they've applied to?

vanwinkle

Re: Improving your chances --- outside numbers and softs.

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 pm

thatdude222 wrote:Outside your numbers and softs on your application, what else might significantly influence an applicant's chances at acceptance if you're WL or at median/below median numbers?

Retake.

thatdude222

Postby thatdude222 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:14 pm

I sat out two cycles, got some WE, and already re-took once. Honestly, I don't think I can do much better, haha.

I'm just a splitter with a horrible GPA :( , looking for any way to improve my chances... I was just curious from others experiences at how much things like LOCI, school visits, or anything else really helps.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Those things only help if you're already "on the bubble"; that is, you're in the batch of applicants they'll keep considering after they make their first rounds of admits and rejections. Basically you have to get yourself into the ballpark in the first place with your numbers/softs; once there, things like LOCIs and school visits sometimes seem to help folks and other times don't, so they can make a difference, but they're small beans compared to just getting a high LSAT score in the first place.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but admissions these days really are a numbers game. Unless your softs are truly extraordinary, they won't matter much either, it'll be your GPA/LSAT alone that make or break you.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Get your parents to buy the school a new law library.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm

I got a couple of WL acceptances by "touring" schools. The "tours" were essentially like a weird interview followed by a formal interview with the admissions dean at the end. See if you can set one up.

thatdude222

Postby thatdude222 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Those things only help if you're already "on the bubble"; that is, you're in the batch of applicants they'll keep considering after they make their first rounds of admits and rejections. Basically you have to get yourself into the ballpark in the first place with your numbers/softs; once there, things like LOCIs and school visits sometimes seem to help folks and other times don't, so they can make a difference, but they're small beans compared to just getting a high LSAT score in the first place.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but admissions these days really are a numbers game. Unless your softs are truly extraordinary, they won't matter much either, it'll be your GPA/LSAT alone that make or break you.

Got ya. Get into the ballpark first, and THEN maybe those factors may help me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I went from a 150 to a 172 so I have some good options, but I'm applying to some reach/dream schools that aren't so splitter-friendly as well that I really wish I could attend. Thanks for the response!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 am

FlanAl wrote:I got a couple of WL acceptances by "touring" schools. The "tours" were essentially like a weird interview followed by a formal interview with the admissions dean at the end. See if you can set one up.

Correlation vs. causation ;-)

But it can help - it shows dedication/interest in the school. If they're on the fence but leaning towards yes (that should be hyphenated, but it's a monstrosity - German would better serve), then visiting will probably push you over. If they're not otherwise feeling good about you, the visit probably won't make a difference.

So we're back to vanwinkle - your numbers need to get you to maybe, then the other stuff can get you to yes.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 am

vanwinkle wrote:
thatdude222 wrote:Outside your numbers and softs on your application, what else might significantly influence an applicant's chances at acceptance if you're WL or at median/below median numbers?

Retake.

Waiting a couple years after our cycle would have been pretty credited, too.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”