Overall Decent GPA But A Handful of C's?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
archieg

Overall Decent GPA But A Handful of C's?

Postby archieg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:37 am

Hello. I plan on applying to Loyola Law, and taking the LSAT in December.

I'm an accounting major, and its quite a pain just worrying about all of this stuff: school, LSAT, etc.

My question is, over the last year, despite my current 3.2 GPA (with some LSDAS calculators) I have several C's; in fall 2011 I only had B's and C's (a B-, B+, C, and C+; granted, this is the semester where I had a loss in the family, but still, I'm concerned) and only had 1 A this past spring (with 2 B- courses, and C's in a 1-unit PE class and 2 unit accounting course).

I'm kind of worried they may look at all my C's and be turned off; I'm counting on clubs and a work-study job at the law school (and God willing some Loyola evening school alumni rec letters) to balance out my GPA (which is slightly below their 25th percentile) and what will seem to be a not so decent LSAT score (it seems with my GPA, a 161\162 at least should get me in; I'm praying for that!

Will the C's be a problem as long as I hover around 3.2 for Loyola?

This question might be pointless, but with mid-terms (and finals for 8-week classes) starting to happen I'm slowly becoming more and more nervous and scared and stressed that something will go wrong.

Thank you for your time.

DCDuck

Re: Overall Decent GPA But A Handful of C's?

Postby DCDuck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 am

all they care about is the GPA. You're below their 25%, so you should try to get above their 75% for LSAT. LSAT and GPA are the two primary factors for admission decisions. Your clubs/recs/recommendation may help, but not enough to make a significant difference that can predictably increase your odds.

Yukos

Re: Overall Decent GPA But A Handful of C's?

Postby Yukos » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 pm

DCDuck wrote:all they care about is the GPA. You're below their 25%, so you should try to get above their 75% for LSAT. LSAT and GPA are the two primary factors for admission decisions. Your clubs/recs/recommendation may help, but not enough to make a significant difference that can predictably increase your odds.

Get a 170+ and go to NU/UVA. No other school that you can get into with your GPA will give you even a modest shot at getting a job in LA, and with your GPA you'll be paying near sticker pretty much anywhere.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”