.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Mr. Frodo
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

.

Postby Mr. Frodo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:12 am

.
Last edited by Mr. Frodo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby TTH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 am

If this person has been in a position to evaluate your work, then it will be a good LOR. If it's someone with whom your dad plays golf, then no. A good LOR grounded in actual experience from an adjunct professor at a TTT state school will be better than a generic LOR written as a favor from a high magistrate and nobleman every time.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Yukos » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 am

Depends. If it's from Cheney, probably not, but Al Gore is definitely a boost.

User avatar
Mr. Frodo
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Mr. Frodo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 am

TTH wrote:If this person has been in a position to evaluate your work, then it will be a good LOR. If it's someone with whom your dad plays golf, then no. A good LOR grounded in actual experience from an adjunct professor at a TTT state school will be better than a generic LOR written as a favor from a high magistrate and nobleman every time.


The dude is the president if my school now, and as the top student in my class I think whatever words he could offer on my behalf would be really helpful. I already have 3 LORs from professors that know me very well and one LOR from my boss who loved my work product. But I would obviously not use one of them if I pursue this new LOR.

Edit. Lol @ yukos

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby TTH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
TTH wrote:If this person has been in a position to evaluate your work, then it will be a good LOR. If it's someone with whom your dad plays golf, then no. A good LOR grounded in actual experience from an adjunct professor at a TTT state school will be better than a generic LOR written as a favor from a high magistrate and nobleman every time.


The dude is the president if my school now, and as the top student in my class I think whatever words he could offer on my behalf would be really helpful.


If that's all he can say, then it's not that helpful in terms of your lost opportunity cost. Your transcript will say you were the top student in your class. You want your LORs to communicate something that's not on your application elsewhere. So, if you worked with this guy, and he can talk about how great of a worker you are or how good your work product was on issue X, then that's cool. If all he can say is, "I have reviewed his student records and can attest that Mr. Frodo is an excellent student," then that's far less impressive.

AdComms routinely receive LORs from Federal Judges, state and federal elected officials, prominent religious leaders, etc. You can ask any AdComm at any school, and they will tell you that 99.9% of the time, a recommender's pedigree does not matter. And that .01 percent would be a recommendation from POTUS, an SC Justice, a major donor to the law school, or someone the Dean of Admissions personally knows and respects.

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:22 pm

TTH wrote:or someone the Dean of Admissions personally knows and respects.


in this case that may be true... the Dean of Admissions and Vice President of the same university are probably acquainted

User avatar
Mr. Frodo
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Mr. Frodo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:51 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
TTH wrote:or someone the Dean of Admissions personally knows and respects.


in this case that may be true... the Dean of Admissions and Vice President of the same university are probably acquainted


My thoughts exactly.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby TTH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 am

Mr. Frodo wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
TTH wrote:or someone the Dean of Admissions personally knows and respects.


in this case that may be true... the Dean of Admissions and Vice President of the same university are probably acquainted


My thoughts exactly.


No, sure, provided he or she can write a good letter on your behalf.

User avatar
Mr. Frodo
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Mr. Frodo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm

TTH wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
TTH wrote:or someone the Dean of Admissions personally knows and respects.


in this case that may be true... the Dean of Admissions and Vice President of the same university are probably acquainted


My thoughts exactly.


No, sure, provided he or she can write a good letter on your behalf.



The president of the university schedule a 45 minute meeting with me in 2 weeks. That is a substantial chunk of time for someone so important. Should I take this as a good sign that he's gonna give it his best shot to help me all he can?

Seems he wants to write a good letter... :D

indo
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:02 am

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby indo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Yukos wrote:Depends. If it's from Cheney, probably not, but Al Gore is definitely a boost.


lame lol

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
TTH wrote:If this person has been in a position to evaluate your work, then it will be a good LOR. If it's someone with whom your dad plays golf, then no. A good LOR grounded in actual experience from an adjunct professor at a TTT state school will be better than a generic LOR written as a favor from a high magistrate and nobleman every time.


The dude is the president if my school now, and as the top student in my class I think whatever words he could offer on my behalf would be really helpful. I already have 3 LORs from professors that know me very well and one LOR from my boss who loved my work product. But I would obviously not use one of them if I pursue this new LOR.

Edit. Lol @ yukos



Gunner. Most (if not all) law school apps limit the number of LORs to 4.

User avatar
Mr. Frodo
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Mr. Frodo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:18 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:
TTH wrote:If this person has been in a position to evaluate your work, then it will be a good LOR. If it's someone with whom your dad plays golf, then no. A good LOR grounded in actual experience from an adjunct professor at a TTT state school will be better than a generic LOR written as a favor from a high magistrate and nobleman every time.


The dude is the president if my school now, and as the top student in my class I think whatever words he could offer on my behalf would be really helpful. I already have 3 LORs from professors that know me very well and one LOR from my boss who loved my work product. But I would obviously not use one of them if I pursue this new LOR.

Edit. Lol @ yukos



Gunner. Most (if not all) law school apps limit the number of LORs to 4.



I know this, but I have various professors to use for various roles... for schools I'm applying to dual degree (JD/MS Mech. Eng.) I have 2 LORs that are (I'm told) about my technical proficiency from some of the more renowned faculty in my department. I will only be submitting 3 or less for each school, saving room for 1 for LOCI if need be. My schools president will obviously be one I send to Penn and no where else. I'm ok with being an application gunner, lol. :P

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 am

just score two points higher on your lsat and stop worrying about this stuff

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:02 am

Make sure it's not someone connected to the Sandusky scandal.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:11 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Make sure it's not someone connected to the Sandusky scandal.


178.30-60

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: LOR from former VP at Penn

Postby rad lulz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:16 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Make sure it's not someone connected to the Sandusky scandal.

Came ITT to poast this.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], espressocream, Google [Bot], patrickkpaul and 6 guests