Demographics/Reporting Ethnicity

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
helpplease

Demographics/Reporting Ethnicity

Postby helpplease » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Hey guys, so i'm Middle Eastern and according to LSAC that is considered white. I don't consider myself white though and there is no "other" option--should I decline to respond? Will this hurt my chances of admissions? Any opinions on this? Thanks!

square_peg

Re: Demographics/Reporting Ethnicity

Postby square_peg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 am

helpplease wrote:Hey guys, so i'm Middle Eastern and according to LSAC that is considered white. I don't consider myself white though and there is no "other" option--should I decline to respond? Will this hurt my chances of admissions? Any opinions on this? Thanks!

You can either mark yourself as "white" or decline to respond. Either way, I think the result will be the same. I believe that if you don't mark your race, the default is to treat your application as though you were white.

I always thought it was kind of silly to code Middle Eastern people as white, even though that is the Census definition. But it's not as though being Asian would help you either, so it probably doesn't make a difference what you choose.

sokomofo

Re: Demographics/Reporting Ethnicity

Postby sokomofo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”