Personal Statement Time??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Teflon_Don

Personal Statement Time??

Postby Teflon_Don » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 pm

How long does it generally take to write/perfect a personal statement? I honestly feel like two pages won't take long at all. Obviously the structure, themes etc take the longest to develop. I'm thinking it'll take about two weeks MAX to perfect, am I way off base? Thanks

collegebum1989

Re: Personal Statement Time??

Postby collegebum1989 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:44 pm

took me about 6 weeks, but I went through multiple rounds of edits and had a combination of opinions during review (fellow TLS'ers, friends, professional writing service, professors).

Overall, it really depends on your topic. I started with one topic, scrapped it and rewrote another topic, then made significant thematic changes to the second one. This really made my PS stronger since I was really committed to writing a great PS as opposed to settling for an average one by sticking to the first topic.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Took a couple hours. It's double spaced. YMMV

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:10 am

Depends how good you want it to be. I spent three months

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am

I spent a couple hours on my first draft. Then I had it torn apart by TLS (which I would recommend, as nobody on here cares about your feelings and thus you actually get honest feedback, even if that feedback is "this sucks, start over") and spent a few more hours on revisions. Once I was happy with what I had gotten from TLS, I sent it to a sister-in-law who's a practicing attorney and a friend of a friend who's a 3L at NYU, both of whom had some really good input. Overall it was probably a month-long process, albeit with lots of gaps and breaks. Bottom line, make sure you have more than one person review it, as they will see things that you don't.
Last edited by nickb285 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 am

collegebum1989 wrote:took me about 6 weeks, but I went through multiple rounds of edits and had a combination of opinions during review (fellow TLS'ers, friends, professional writing service, professors).

Overall, it really depends on your topic. I started with one topic, scrapped it and rewrote another topic, then made significant thematic changes to the second one. This really made my PS stronger since I was really committed to writing a great PS as opposed to settling for an average one by sticking to the first topic.

This was pretty much my process. You could physically write it in a day, but I think for it to be the best it can you should allow at least a month. My first draft was awful, and my second draft had gigantic flaws that would've really cost me I think.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”