Explaining a small gap in my resume.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I do?

Write an addendum
36%
Put a note on resume
No votes
Don't mention it
64%

Total votes: 14

canarykb

Explaining a small gap in my resume.

Postby canarykb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:52 pm

After graduating college I joined the Americorps, but I only completed 6 months. It's a bit more complicated, but the basic reason is my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I decided to move home. I left with the blessing of my supervisor and still got most of my educational loan payment (meaning my reason for leaving was approved by the program). I was only unemployed for 2 months, had to take a crap job for a while, but now I have a good one at a law firm.

Anyone reading my resume who understand the americorps program will know that I left early bc most programs are 1 year. But I don't really want to write an addendum to draw attention to a gap that they may not even notice.

Is it weird to add a line on your resume with "Reason for Leaving?" If I do that for my Americorps job should I then put it for every job to be consistent?

Advice appreciated!

Cobretti

Re: Explaining a small gap in my resume.

Postby Cobretti » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:53 pm

You won't be expected to explain it on your resume, even if someone looks at it and is familiar with the standard 1 year length. If they want to know they'll ask. Also, you should never worry about a 2 month gap, especially with the economy the way its been the last 4 years.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:22 pm

mrizza wrote:You won't be expected to explain it on your resume, even if someone looks at it and is familiar with the standard 1 year length. If they want to know they'll ask. Also, you should never worry about a 2 month gap, especially with the economy the way its been the last 4 years.

OP is asking about an admissions, which I think makes the situation different.

OP: I think a short addendum would probably be helpful. Most people in admissions offices will know americorp is for a year and it might raise a potential red flag for them if it went unexplained. I don't think you have to explain the other job you got though.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:37 am

"There is a short gap in my work experience that warrants some explanation. In August 2010, I began work at FOCUS, in Boulder, CO as part of the Americorps VISTA program. Like most Americorps placements, this was expected to be a one-year term, with a potential of finding future work with the organization. Unfortunately, during this time, my father was diagnosed with Leukemia. In February 2011, I made the decision to move home to Ann Arbor to be closer to my family. I left with the blessing of my supervisor, and the Americorps designation of “Early Termination of a VSTA Member for a Compelling Personal Circumstance." Once home, it took me a couple months to find a new position, and I am now employed in a meaningful role at Bassett & Associates."

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:32 pm

canarykb wrote:"There is a short gap in my work experience that warrants some explanation. In August 2010, I began work at FOCUS, in Boulder, CO as part of the Americorps VISTA program. Like most Americorps placements, this was expected to be a one-year term, with a potential of finding future work with the organization. Unfortunately, during this time, my father was diagnosed with Leukemia. In February 2011, I made the decision to move home to Ann Arbor to be closer to my family. I left with the blessing of my supervisor, and the Americorps designation of “Early Termination of a VSTA Member for a Compelling Personal Circumstance." Once home, it took me a couple months to find a new position, and I am now employed in a meaningful role at Bassett & Associates."

This. You have a reason for the early dismissal, and it's a good one. If someone notices the gap, you don't want them wondering why you left the program, and assuming it was because you washed out. Calling attention to the gap when you have a good reason for it is better than not calling attention to it and possibly having someone wonder what happened. Especially since they most likely will just assume the worst (since otherwise you would have included an explanatory essay) and not bother to follow up.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:58 pm

I don't know if it's appropriate to post my own question in here but it's similar. Much worse, but similar.

For the entire year of 2011, I did not work, but I earned my first 4.0 in a semester of 18 units, which began a cycle of an upward trend in my gpa. Is this going to be an issue when I'm applying? How should I explain this?

Also, I haven't worked since July of this year, and don't plan to until after I take the June LSAT. Is this a really big deal? Or will it be acceptable when I have a stellar LSAT to show for it?

Thanks you guyz

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02 pm

warandpeace wrote:I don't know if it's appropriate to post my own question in here but it's similar. Much worse, but similar.

For the entire year of 2011, I did not work, but I earned my first 4.0 in a semester of 18 units, which began a cycle of an upward trend in my gpa. Is this going to be an issue when I'm applying? How should I explain this?

Also, I haven't worked since July of this year, and don't plan to until after I take the June LSAT. Is this a really big deal? Or will it be acceptable when I have a stellar LSAT to show for it?

Thanks you guyz

Most people don't work during UG

The gap means after grad

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

The gap means after grad

oh lawd i am relieved

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 pm

warandpeace wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

The gap means after grad

oh lawd i am relieved

Yeah keep getting a 4.0 do an extracurricular and prep like hell for the LSAT

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:01 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
Yeah keep getting a 4.0 do an extracurricular and prep like hell for the LSAT

does a small business count as an extracurricular?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”