Northwestern ED with 174*/Superior? Int'l UG. any inputs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mumbaisalsa

New

Northwestern ED with 174*/Superior? Int'l UG. any inputs?

Post by mumbaisalsa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:11 am

Hi, I was wondering if someone can guide me regarding Northwestern ED process.
I have a rather complicated case.

I have a 174 on the June LSAT. I had tried taking LSAT in the last cycle but due to various health related complications, I have an absent and a cancel and I decided not to try for admissions last year. I took the October LSAT today, which I think went well so I will probably have an average LSAT score above 175.

I have an international UG ( Bombay University, business, 5th in university in my class, but that was over 10 years back). I also hold a masters. My LSAC credentials say "superior" for my UG work and "Above Average" for my masters. 4 years of work experience in various places in the world but I haven't worked in the past 2 years as I started a family. I am not a US citizen but am a permanent resident.

I am thinking of applying to NW ED because it seems they have a guaranteed 50k/year scholarship which will cover my Law school.

do people think I would stand a chance in the ED at NW? I will not be applying to other schools as chances of scholarships are probably slim for international students. I have heard that law schools don't look too kindly upon cancels and absents, but I really couldn't help it. I can probably try and explain in away in an addendum.

Also, are there any good law schools where they have a guaranteed financial assistance ?

TopHatToad

New

Re: Northwestern ED with 174*/Superior? Int'l UG. any inputs?

Post by TopHatToad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:05 am

I'll leave the details of this question to former int'l applicants, but you probably don't want to be ED'ing anywhere. While your gpa won't be used for any rankings basis, 5th in your class is always an impressive stat, and a 174 opens doors to any law school. With your softs (work experience and a master's) you're not only looking at significant scholarship money, but also improved odds when it comes time for OCI. Northwestern should absolutely be on your list, but apply to the full T14 and let the chips land where they may.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:24 am

mumbaisalsa wrote:Hi, I was wondering if someone can guide me regarding Northwestern ED process.
I have a rather complicated case.

I have a 174 on the June LSAT. I had tried taking LSAT in the last cycle but due to various health related complications, I have an absent and a cancel and I decided not to try for admissions last year. I took the October LSAT today, which I think went well so I will probably have an average LSAT score above 175.

I have an international UG ( Bombay University, business, 5th in university in my class, but that was over 10 years back). I also hold a masters. My LSAC credentials say "superior" for my UG work and "Above Average" for my masters. 4 years of work experience in various places in the world but I haven't worked in the past 2 years as I started a family. I am not a US citizen but am a permanent resident.

I am thinking of applying to NW ED because it seems they have a guaranteed 50k/year scholarship which will cover my Law school.

do people think I would stand a chance in the ED at NW? I will not be applying to other schools as chances of scholarships are probably slim for international students. I have heard that law schools don't look too kindly upon cancels and absents, but I really couldn't help it. I can probably try and explain in away in an addendum.

Also, are there any good law schools where they have a guaranteed financial assistance ?
Do NoT ED. Applied to all T14. You should be getting some $$

Congrat and enjoy T14.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:17 pm

To the two posts above mine, acceptance through Northwestern's ED means a full ride.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:To the two posts above mine, acceptance through Northwestern's ED means ALMOST a full ride.
It's $3k+ short this year and tuition ain't going down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:23 pm

The bigger question is why the hell would you retake a 174? The likelihood of going down, even if you have been PTing, is not insubstantial. Plus, a 174 is above every school's median and most school's 75th percentile. Most importantly, studying for and taking the LSAT sucks. I guess the thought is that if you go down, the school's will just focus on the 174.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:49 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:The bigger question is why the hell would you retake a 174? The likelihood of going down, even if you have been PTing, is not insubstantial. Plus, a 174 is above every school's median and most school's 75th percentile. Most importantly, studying for and taking the LSAT sucks. I guess the thought is that if you go down, the school's will just focus on the 174.
To add stats and combat OPs potential special snowflake situation
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... erdata.pdf

During them most recent LSAT of people who retook 174-176s, 2 went up 1 got the same score and 13 did worse.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:54 pm

I would absolutely ED NW. You're going to be very hard pressed to get federal loans as an international, and when you pick up private loans, the interest rates withh be significantly higher than what your peers are paying. 3k-6k short a year is chump change.

mumbaisalsa

New

Post by mumbaisalsa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:49 am

somewhatwayward wrote:The bigger question is why the hell would you retake a 174? The likelihood of going down, even if you have been PTing, is not insubstantial. Plus, a 174 is above every school's median and most school's 75th percentile. Most importantly, studying for and taking the LSAT sucks. I guess the thought is that if you go down, the school's will just focus on the 174.
just to improve my score. I had consistently scored 179-180 in the PTs so 174 came as a bit of a shock.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mumbaisalsa

New

Post by mumbaisalsa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:49 am

twentypercentmore wrote:I would absolutely ED NW. You're going to be very hard pressed to get federal loans as an international, and when you pick up private loans, the interest rates withh be significantly higher than what your peers are paying. 3k-6k short a year is chump change.
thanks, do you know if NW accepts international students in ED? are there any past data points?

mumbaisalsa

New

Post by mumbaisalsa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:54 am

TopHatToad wrote:I'll leave the details of this question to former int'l applicants, but you probably don't want to be ED'ing anywhere. While your gpa won't be used for any rankings basis, 5th in your class is always an impressive stat, and a 174 opens doors to any law school. With your softs (work experience and a master's) you're not only looking at significant scholarship money, but also improved odds when it comes time for OCI. Northwestern should absolutely be on your list, but apply to the full T14 and let the chips land where they may.
Thanks for your encouraging feedback. Any international applicants here who could chime in,especially regarding the scholarship money?

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:49 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:To the two posts above mine, acceptance through Northwestern's ED means a full ride.
Sorry to hijack, but do you know the admissions stats of those admitted via ED or what the interview is like? I wouldn't have bothered ED but I think after my retake I may stand a fair chance.

I have 3.4/168, but I'm confident (hopeful?) my retake was at least a few points better. Or did I read somewhere that those who would be admitted through NW ED would be passing up the chance for similar aid at other T14?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02 am

cahwc12 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:To the two posts above mine, acceptance through Northwestern's ED means a full ride.
Sorry to hijack, but do you know the admissions stats of those admitted via ED or what the interview is like? I wouldn't have bothered ED but I think after my retake I may stand a fair chance.

I have 3.4/168, but I'm confident (hopeful?) my retake was at least a few points better. Or did I read somewhere that those who would be admitted through NW ED would be passing up the chance for similar aid at other T14?
Only info I have is from LSN. The lowest GPA to get it last cycle, at least on LSN, was a 3.55. Person had a 174 and apparently a few years of quality WE.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mumbaisalsa

New

Post by mumbaisalsa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

Only info I have is from LSN. The lowest GPA to get it last cycle, at least on LSN, was a 3.55. Person had a 174 and apparently a few years of quality WE.
Can you tell me how to access this information?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:38 pm

mumbaisalsa wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

Can you tell me how to access this information?
www.lawschoolnumbers.com

mumbaisalsa

New

Post by mumbaisalsa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:www.lawschoolnumbers.com
merci

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

Only info I have is from LSN. The lowest GPA to get it last cycle, at least on LSN, was a 3.55. Person had a 174 and apparently a few years of high quality WE.
FTFY, IIRC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PaulAtriedes

New

Post by PaulAtriedes » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:29 pm

mumbaisalsa wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

False. This lsn user got in (time frame matches up with ED) with 2.77/177 last cycle http://lawschoolnumbers.com/thisisme/jd

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 pm

PaulAtriedes wrote: False. This lsn user got in (time frame matches up with ED) with 2.77/177 last cycle http://lawschoolnumbers.com/thisisme/jd
He got the decision the same day as me and I didn't apply ED. The ED people were notified before that. The 12/29 crew was the first RD group to hear back, and that group did include several people who were deferred from ED.

Also, in that profile he says he has decided that since Northwestern is his first choice he will withdraw from other schools. He doesn't say he's obligated to.

But seriously, you think they're paying 150K for a 2.77?

Ex Cearulo

Bronze

Post by Ex Cearulo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 am

2014 wrote:

During them most recent LSAT of people who retook 174-176s, 2 went up 1 got the same score and 13 did worse.
Oh, and one person had a 180, decided to re-take, and got a lower score. WTF? #heyguysijustreallylovethe!LSAT

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 am

HawgDriver wrote:
2014 wrote:

Oh, and one person had a 180, decided to re-take, and got a lower score. WTF? #heyguysijustreallylovethe!LSAT
Probably a Robin Singh copycat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:58 am

bk187 wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:
2014 wrote:

Probably a Robin Singh copycat.
or Dave Hall

PaulAtriedes

New

Post by PaulAtriedes » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 pm

touche, good point Tiago Splitter !

do those who get in ED have substantially "better" credentials?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”