GPA bump or ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

GPA bump or ED?

Postby mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm in my last semester of undergrad, and my GPA is rather weak at the moment, with a 2.88 as calculated for my LSDAS GPA or a 3.16 per my university transcript. I have an upward trend, with my GPA having risen from around a 2.4 to where it is now over the past 3 semesters. In this current semester, I currently have all As, and this is likely to continue. If so, my LSDAS GPA would calculate to 2.99 and my institutional GPA would be at or near 3.3.

However, the semester does not end until early December, which is well past the deadline for any ED programs at top schools. It seems obvious that there is at least some advantage to applying ED to certain schools, so my question is if that advantage is enough to negate the difference in GPA calculations.

What also might be noteworthy is that I'm taking the LSAT on Saturday, so I do not have a score to apply right now. I'm PTing in the mid-170s, which gives me hope that I can score fairly high on the test. I know that without that score, there is certainly no way of determining whether or not I have a chance at most schools, but for the sake of answering the general question posed in the thread, I would assume my score for the LSAT is going to be fairly competitive. So, essentially would a ~170/2.88 ED be more beneficial than a ~170/2.99 later in the cycle for the top schools?

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby TheZoid » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm

You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 pm

TheZoid wrote:You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.


I do believe this to be sound advice, but I'm really not sure that I can follow it. I'm capped for my financial aid for undergrad, and my fiancee is due to have a child in February. For these reasons, graduation in December is really my most feasible option.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Mqt wrote:
TheZoid wrote:You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.


I do believe this to be sound advice, but I'm really not sure that I can follow it. I'm capped for my financial aid for undergrad, and my fiancee is due to have a child in February. For these reasons, graduation in December is really my most feasible option.

You're going to be a dad in February and you're considering starting LAW SCHOOL? This is a terrible idea :shock: (time commitments and what not).

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:44 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Mqt wrote:
TheZoid wrote:You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.


I do believe this to be sound advice, but I'm really not sure that I can follow it. I'm capped for my financial aid for undergrad, and my fiancee is due to have a child in February. For these reasons, graduation in December is really my most feasible option.

You're going to be a dad in February and you're considering starting LAW SCHOOL? This is a terrible idea :shock: (time commitments and what not).


I fully understand the difficulties that this situation will cause, but it's not as if working full-time with a child would be an easy road. Would there really be a significant advantage involved with considering law school with a 2-year-old, or a 3-year-old? Being a parent is going to be a challenge no matter what I decide to do with my life, so I don't feel as though I should base my career options on whether or not law school is a difficult path.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby TheThriller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Mqt wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Mqt wrote:
TheZoid wrote:You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.


I do believe this to be sound advice, but I'm really not sure that I can follow it. I'm capped for my financial aid for undergrad, and my fiancee is due to have a child in February. For these reasons, graduation in December is really my most feasible option.

You're going to be a dad in February and you're considering starting LAW SCHOOL? This is a terrible idea :shock: (time commitments and what not).


I fully understand the difficulties that this situation will cause, but it's not as if working full-time with a child would be an easy road. Would there really be a significant advantage involved with considering law school with a 2-year-old, or a 3-year-old? Being a parent is going to be a challenge no matter what I decide to do with my life, so I don't feel as though I should base my career options on whether or not law school is a difficult path.


Economically, would you rather be in Law School debt + Child Care debt or Making money?

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 pm

TheThriller wrote:Economically, would you rather be in Law School debt + Child Care debt or Making money?


To be quite clear, I am not looking to address the issue of whether or not I should attend law school. I understand my circumstances, and fully believe this route to be my best long-term option for my career and family. This was the path I started on before we found out we were expecting a child, and it is the path I intend to continue on.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby TheThriller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Mqt wrote:
TheThriller wrote:Economically, would you rather be in Law School debt + Child Care debt or Making money?


To be quite clear, I am not looking to address the issue of whether or not I should attend law school. I understand my circumstances, and fully believe this route to be my best long-term option for my career and family. This was the path I started on before we found out we were expecting a child, and it is the path I intend to continue on.


Well, then I wish you the best of luck getting the best LSAT you can possible achieve, from one sub 3.0 splitter to another.

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 pm

I apologize for coming across as combative to the responses so far, but I was wondering if anyone did have an opinion one way or the other on ED vs the extra .1 in my GPA.

gspiel1232
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby gspiel1232 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 pm

It sounds as if you should be applying rd everywhere and EDing nowhere with the exception of NW and maybe mayyybe (def not) GW....you should be thinking of using your lsat score to hopefully get moolah
..not paying sticker

mommalee
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Postby mommalee » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:10 pm

[/quote]

I fully understand the difficulties that this situation will cause, but it's not as if working full-time with a child would be an easy road. Would there really be a significant advantage involved with considering law school with a 2-year-old, or a 3-year-old? Being a parent is going to be a challenge no matter what I decide to do with my life, so I don't feel as though I should base my career options on whether or not law school is a difficult path.[/quote]


I have a 4 year old and a 12month old. I am applying this year as well. Dealing with a small child (6months in August) is very different than dealing with a toddler. Toddlers can communicate their needs to you and are somewhat self sufficient, you can potty train a 20 month old. I think you should at least consider the disruption to your studying that teething, flu season illness could cause in you first semester of school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 6 guests