Study abroad: what do I put for institution?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
daisyrita

Study abroad: what do I put for institution?

Postby daisyrita » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm

I did a study abroad program in Russia. My grades/transcript came from an American UG. In the Education section of applications, it requests "List ALL educational institutions attended." Do I put the Russian institution or the American one? I'm afraid it's misleading if I say I attended an institution in New York when it was actually in Russia, but it would also look strange if I have a transcript from an American UG but didn't "attend" it.

Argh!!

nickb285

Re: Study abroad: what do I put for institution?

Postby nickb285 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:47 am

How long was the study abroad program?

daisyrita

Postby daisyrita » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 pm

5 months

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Then just send in your American transcript. If you spent less than a year at the foreign institution, and the program was through your UG institution, you don't need to have the foreign school's transcript and your grades there will not affect your GPA unless they show up on your home institution's transcript. The email I got from LSAC when I asked about my own SA situation was:

""As your coursework at [overseas university] was not the equivalent of more than a year of U.S. or Canadian study you are not required to have your transcript from that institution sent to us.

If you chose to have your international transcript sent to us despite the requirement, have the transcript mailed directly from your international school to: LSAC, 662 Penn Street, Box 8502, Newtown, PA 18940-8502, USA.
A copy of the international transcript will be included in your law report along with a letter explaining that because the transcript does not contain the equivalent of more than one year of U.S. or Canadian study, no evaluation was done of the transcript.
Please note that the letter and the copy of the international transcript will only be included in the law school reports for law schools that participate in authentication and evaluation of international transcripts through our Credential Assembly Service.""

daisyrita

Postby daisyrita » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Cool, thanks!! And on the list of institutions in the actual application, should I put the Russian one or the American one?

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Just the American one, since that's your actual undergrad institution, and the SA program was through them (I'm assuming, as opposed to you independently going to school in Russia for a few months for some reason).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”