Acceptance Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bthennington1

New

Acceptance Question

Post by Bthennington1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 pm

I have taken the October LSAT, but plan to take the December LSAT to try and improve my score. I am planning to go ahead and send out applications to schools that I would like to attend. If I am accepted to the school that I want to attend before my December LSAT can I choose to enroll in a law school and choose not to take the December LSAT without being penalized?

Thanks,

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Re: Acceptance Question

Post by MarcusAurelius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 pm

You're not going to get your October test results back until the end of this month. Once you apply, schools are going to take a few weeks to review your application, and you most likely will not have received an acceptance before December LSAT comes up.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 pm

MarcusAurelius wrote:You're not going to get your October test results back until the end of this month. Once you apply, schools are going to take a few weeks to review your application, and you most likely will not have received an acceptance before December LSAT comes up.
except in the case of certain ED situations. Yes, you can withdraw without penalty, though you will most likely be beyond the point of getting your money refunded.

Bthennington1

New

Post by Bthennington1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Bthennington1 wrote:I have taken the October LSAT, but plan to take the December LSAT to try and improve my score. I am planning to go ahead and send out applications to schools that I would like to attend. If I am accepted to the school that I want to attend before my December LSAT can I choose to enroll in a law school and choose not to take the December LSAT without being penalized?

Thanks,

Edit: I have taken the June 2012 LSAT, not the October

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:17 pm

What did you score

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bthennington1

New

Post by Bthennington1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 pm

...148 LSAT 3.88 GPA but I am wanting to go to Mississippi College (I have close ties to the state/ decent connections) and plan to practice law in Mississippi.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Bthennington1 wrote:...148 LSAT 3.88 GPA but I am wanting to go to Mississippi College (I have close ties to the state/ decent connections) and plan to practice law in Mississippi.
I hate to break it to you, but, by and large, you're on the wrong forum (people here are generally very biassed against non-elite schools and will probably convince you to go elsewhere)

That aside, you should still take the LSAT again, because if you score high enough you might be able to negotiate a better scholarship

Bthennington1

New

Post by Bthennington1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 pm

haha thanks for the heads up about the "elitest" society I have entered here.

I will most likely be retaking again, I was just curious about my initial question of whether I could not take the lsat if I was already accepted. As far as Mississippi College goes, they have decent job prospects (especially when compared to Ole Miss), and strong within the state being in Jackson, MS. Its not for everyone, but the state of Mississippi is not for everyone either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:41 pm

I highly doubt the school you applying to will be in a rush to accept you before december with such a mediocre score :wink:

Bthennington1

New

Post by Bthennington1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:42 pm

MarcusAurelius wrote:I highly doubt the school you applying to will be in a rush to accept you before december with such a mediocre score :wink:
Fair enough ha

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:45 pm

To answer your question, JMJ is right. You can withdraw without penalty. However, you should take it anyway for the opportunity to earn more scholarship money.

Even a few more points will put you above the median, and in line for legit scholarship money with your GPA. You could probably get a full ride with a score in the high 150s. Make sure you understand the conditions of the scholarship (ie: top 50% to retain, or whatever).

Dont go at sticker. No unranked school is worth 30k tuition a year. Hell, many T1 schools are not worth 30k a year.

"These scholarships are based on academic potential as demonstrated through undergraduate grades (GPA) and your score on the LSAT exam. The scholarships range from $5,000 to full tuition scholarships"

"MC Law awards at least one full tuition scholarship (approximately $24,000) plus a book stipend to the best applicant from each of eight schools with which the law school enjoys a historical association.

Feeder schools include:
Jackson State University
Louisiana State University
Louisiana Tech University
Millsaps College
Mississippi College
Mississippi State University
Tougaloo College
University of Mississippi
University of Southern Mississippi"
http://law.mc.edu/prospective-students/ ... olarships/

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Bthennington1 wrote:I will most likely be retaking again, I was just curious about my initial question of whether I could not take the lsat if I was already accepted.
yeah, you could withdraw, but you shouldnt. You wont get your money back and you have very little to lose with a lower score (schools take the highest score, because that is what is reported to USNWR) and a hell of a lot to gain with a higher score (Like 100 grand).

Bthennington1

New

Post by Bthennington1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Nova wrote:
Bthennington1 wrote:I will most likely be retaking again, I was just curious about my initial question of whether I could not take the lsat if I was already accepted.
yeah, you could withdraw, but you shouldnt. You wont get your money back and you have very little to lose with a lower score (schools take the highest score, because that is what is reported to USNWR) and a hell of a lot to gain with a higher score (Like 100 grand).

Thank you for the great reply

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”