phd in engineering - competitive for harvard? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bajamrock

New

phd in engineering - competitive for harvard?

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm getting my PhD in electrical engineering from a top school, gpa 3.55, and undergrad from a state school, gpa 3.9. I haven't taken LSAT yet, but let's assume I got a 170, and that my recs are from established prof's at my university.

What would be the probability of getting into Harvard Law?

Thanks.

clintone88

Bronze

Re: phd in engineering - competitive for harvard?

Post by clintone88 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 pm

With you an EE phd you will be more competitive from a lower T-14 than all of the poli-scis at harvard, just go wherever is free or cheapest.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 pm

30%ish at 170. I'd aim higher.

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 pm

bajamrock wrote:I'm getting my PhD in electrical engineering from a top school, gpa 3.55, and undergrad from a state school, gpa 3.9. I haven't taken LSAT yet, but let's assume I got a 170, and that my recs are from established prof's at my university.

What would be the probability of getting into Harvard Law?

Thanks.
If your question is whether you'll overperform your numbers because of your EE PhD the answer is not by much. But you'll overperform comfortably when it comes to finding a job.

bajamrock

New

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:53 pm

clintone88 wrote:With you an EE phd you will be more competitive from a lower T-14 than all of the poli-scis at harvard, just go wherever is free or cheapest.
clintone could you please explain what you mean? and what's a lower t-14? thanks.
Desert Fox wrote:30%ish at 170. I'd aim higher.
so...what are the chances at HLS if i got a 175? 50%?
ajr wrote:
If your question is whether you'll overperform your numbers because of your EE PhD the answer is not by much. But you'll overperform comfortably when it comes to finding a job.
wow...so you think having a phd will not increase my chances by that much? by "overperform" my numbers, you're referring to my chances at getting in, right?

thanks for your feedback everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatprepguy

Bronze

Post by lsatprepguy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:59 pm

bajamrock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:30%ish at 170. I'd aim higher.
so...what are the chances at HLS if i got a 175? 50%?
check this site out. should answer all of these types of questions:
http://www.mylsn.info

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Why take a PhD with a 3.55 and a 170 when they can literally fill their whole class with high GPAs and LSATs?

Think of it this way:

Only your undergraduate gpa is recorded - 3.55

now lets say:

X student has majored in psychology at Middle Georgia State College and graduated with a 3.8 ugpa

Both of you scored a 170

Who will get admitted?

bajamrock

New

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 pm

TheThriller wrote:Why take a PhD with a 3.55 and a 170 when they can literally fill their whole class with high GPAs and LSATs?

Think of it this way:

Only your undergraduate gpa is recorded - 3.55

now lets say:

X student has majored in psychology at Middle Georgia State College and graduated with a 3.8 ugpa

Both of you scored a 170

Who will get admitted?
no my ug gpa is 3.9. also i was the valedictorian of my major and summa cum laude. this is from a state school on par with univ of georgia

my phd gpa is 3.55 or so but i don't know how much that gpa matters. this is from a school on par with princeton/duke. i have several publications.

let's say im up against an ug with the same academic record as my ug record. in addition i have the phd from a good school but am three years older. wouldn't i be the stronger candidate?

i'm honestly just asking. i did think that having a phd would help in admission to HLS but it seems from all your answers like i may be wrong about that. i'm basically trying to decide whether the time investment in studying for lsat which i'd take in dec makes sense.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Sorry OP, didn't see the 3.9 gpa.

All I can offer then is to bump up that LSAT a little more, and you may be looking at Stanford or Yale, both of which may see the PhD as a significant soft factor

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bajamrock

New

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm

sorry guys, i didn't realize that 170 on lsat is actually low for harvard. just realized that after seeing 25th/median/75th.

i guess i will be shooting for 175+ to max my chances.

bajamrock

New

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:37 pm

TheThriller wrote:Sorry OP, didn't see the 3.9 gpa.

All I can offer then is to bump up that LSAT a little more, and you may be looking at Stanford or Yale, both of which may see the PhD as a significant soft factor
thanks...are you saying that S/Y will see it as a soft factor, and not Harvard? why would that be the case?

or, were you just saying that i should apply to all three to max my chances of getting into one.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm

bajamrock wrote:
TheThriller wrote:Sorry OP, didn't see the 3.9 gpa.

thanks...are you saying that S/Y will see it as a soft factor, and not Harvard? why would that be the case?

or, were you just saying that i should apply to all three to max my chances of getting into one.
Both, to some extent. With a lsat in the high 170s you would be best to apply to all the T10 as a few may throw you money.

On the forums here Stanford is known for making arbitrary decisions between two statistically similar candidates and that PhD could be your ticket in. Yale states that their process takes a holistic approach.

With a 170+ you should be applying to all T14s

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 pm

With a 170 your chances might be better at Stanford than Harvard. If you score 173+, your chances at Harvard are better.
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bajamrock

New

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm

ok...thanks for your help! also thanks for the link to http://www.mylsn.info/. i didn't realize how competitive it is to get into yale.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 pm

i am very suprise and dissapointed with the people answering Op question.
when do we start predicting without real LSAT score ?
It seems all of you have been blinded by Op PHD. ?

Op take test first and when you get the LSAT score we can talk about it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 pm

173 will probably lock you in at HS (Y is a maybe at any number)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:18 pm

The big question is why would waste your PhD on EE on law school?

Tbf, I'd take a full ride scholarship at a lesser T14. HYS aren't going to increase your job prospects enough to turn down 150k.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:28 pm

x
Last edited by toothbrush on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bajamrock

New

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm

indo wrote:i am very suprise and dissapointed with the people answering Op question.

indo - i'm trying to decide whether or not to take the lsat and apply for law or not. it's a two-month time commitment so that's why i'm asking these questions now. also what do you mean when you say everyone's blinded by "op phd". i'm just trying to get a feel for things. and i'm happy with the help i've gotten in this post.
Desert Fox wrote:The big question is why would waste your PhD on EE on law school?
good question. i'd like to work somewhere in the intersection of engineering/law/economics. but i'm hazy on what i want to do with my career at the moment. i don't think i'd be wasting my phd by going to law school. two close friends of mine got their phds and are now in law school. the thing is, having both degrees opens up a lot of avenues - academia, patents, consulting, advising to large corporations, and govt/politics. having both degrees would enhance your profile in all those fields, i think.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm

bajamrock wrote:
indo wrote:i am very suprise and dissapointed with the people answering Op question.

indo - i'm trying to decide whether or not to take the lsat and apply for law or not. it's a two-month time commitment so that's why i'm asking these questions now. also what do you mean when you say everyone's blinded by "op phd". i'm just trying to get a feel for things. and i'm happy with the help i've gotten in this post.
Desert Fox wrote:The big question is why would waste your PhD on EE on law school?
good question. i'd like to work somewhere in the intersection of engineering/law/economics. but i'm hazy on what i want to do with my career at the moment. i don't think i'd be wasting my phd by going to law school. two close friends of mine got their phds and are now in law school. the thing is, having both degrees opens up a lot of avenues - academia, patents, consulting, advising to large corporations, and govt/politics. having both degrees would enhance your profile in all those fields, i think.

The law is not for everyone.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm

I'd really consider going to school on a full ride scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm

toothbrush wrote:

Lol I was expecting something like this when I read the "assume I get a 170"

Good guy TLS today!
Usually we shoot down predicted score hypos with "enjoy lawschoolnumbers" but in this case, the OP's situation is significantly different enough to actually answer the question. For example, I would very rarely tell someone that they were close to a lock at S, even with great (actual) numbers, because of the school's unpredictability. But a PhD is a significant enough soft to not shut them down out of the gate.
TL;DR, no one's saying that he's right in making the prediction, but that the situation is different from the usual "what are my chances with hypo LSAT score" threads.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:54 pm

If the guy got a 3.9 in EE and is halfway decent at reading comprehension he'll get a 170 if he studies even a little.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If the guy got a 3.9 in EE and is halfway decent at reading comprehension he'll get a 170 if he studies even a little.
NOT neccessary

bajamrock

New

Post by bajamrock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:27 pm

again thanks for your help everyone. it looks like the general consensus is that with 173+ i have a case for H and possibly a better one for S. i really appreciate it. based on your inputs i'll probably take the lsat, and if i do well enough i will follow your advice and apply to some of the top schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”