Could this happen?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
birdokart

Could this happen?

Postby birdokart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:20 am

Last edited by birdokart on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Platypus

Re: Could this happen?

Postby The Platypus » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 am

Hire a private assassin. Might bring up C&F issues later, but it might let you get accepted.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 am

--LinkRemoved--

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:20 am

Tell them you named a star after them so they will be nice to you. Get an official certificate and everything.

The Platypus

Postby The Platypus » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 am

Tom Joad wrote:Tell them you named a star after them so they will be nice to you. Get an official certificate and everything.

http://www.nameastar.net/nameastar_pkg_economy.html

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 pm

birdokart wrote:I think someone I'm not on good terms with may contact admissions offices and tell them false things.

Also, she or he has a relative who is an alum of a school I will apply to. Will that lend the rumor credibility?

I'm not worried about things like FB photos. I am more about rumors that will conflict with CF answers on applications (e.g., discipl. sanction from school). Although such rumors can easily be disproven with an official record, I don't think a ls office will take the time to verify the rumor or my position and will toss my application on the slightest hint of controversy.

Is there any way to prevent the above or to minimize the damage (by, e.g., adducing disconfirming evidence)? Assume it's too late or impossible to repair relations with the person above.

Also, in the future, how to prevent the above wrt OCI besides going to great lengths to stay neutral with everyone?

Uh....is this an actual question? Why can't you just stay neutral? If it's that difficult to stay neutral, you may need to go to counseling, not law school.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Paranoia only gets worse from here. Hang on, I think I heard something....

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Wow.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm

That's what you get for cheating.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:19 pm

What happened between the two of you exactly?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:22 pm

AlanShore wrote:What happened between the two of you exactly?

On a separate note legal mumbo jumbo

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah I wouldn't worry about this, OP. I would think an admissions office would roll their eyes, unless it was major, and then they would want it substantiated. You can't prevent the person from calling. And if they do, I just don't think it would work the way they wanted it to.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Stay off the grid, man.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Ignore all the trolls here, they'll mess with anyone

I'd just call the admissions office and tell them what the other person is going to say, before they have the chance to. It's much better that they hear it from you, and know not to believe the person out to get you.

Just make sure to give all the details the other person will, plus any more you can think of. It's always better in this situation to give more details than the person trying to slander you. Make sure you tell them that you didn't do it!, remind them a couple times if the conversation lasts a while

This will happen to the best of us at one point or another, the most important thing is that you are proactive in squashing the rumor before it gets started.

birdokart

Postby birdokart » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Last edited by birdokart on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:11 pm

birdokart wrote:
I'd just call the admissions office and tell them what the other person is going to say, before they have the chance to. It's much better that they hear it from you, and know not to believe the person out to get you.

Just make sure to give all the details the other person will, plus any more you can think of. It's always better in this situation to give more details than the person trying to slander you. Make sure you tell them that you didn't do it!, remind them a couple times if the conversation lasts a while

This will happen to the best of us at one point or another, the most important thing is that you are proactive in squashing the rumor before it gets started.

This is common? Wouldn't preemptively calling the admissions office make them think the caller is out of her mind?

How do admissions offices treat such rumors?
Do they disregard them or do they just toss the application because it'll take too much effort and time to investigate (get documents), etc.

Honestly, this is the impression I am getting

birdokart

Postby birdokart » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Last edited by birdokart on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:17 pm

how is this person a friend if he/she is going to rat you out?

Honestly, just chill out. Convicted murders go to law school (ie: Tulane), you have nothing worse to hide then that

birdokart

Postby birdokart » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Last edited by birdokart on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 pm

birdokart wrote:Ok a mutual acquaintance.

And I've never even done anything. I just don't think a school that receives tons of apps (T14) would take the time and effort to investigate into rumors' truth, which means someone who hates me can make up anything and tell an admissions office.

No one is going to do this. And if they do, admissions is going to think they are immature and crazy. All they care about is your numbers. What is this person "that hates you" going to say? That you are mean or don't have a straight moral code? You're going to law school...

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 pm

You are grossly overestimating the time and effort these people are going to put into your application.

To be blunt: any school worth a damn is receiving and reviewing 4-5,000 applications every year. They admit maybe 200 of these. They will not care about rumors. I'd bet you a dollar that most staff would not discuss a random person's application with another random person. It'd be very unprofessional.

If that person actually wanted to do damages to you, they should have waited until you got admitted, and then gone to the dean of student affairs, or whoever handles C & F. It'd be pretty hard for them to pin anything down without written proof, though. At least at my school, that job is not held by someone who got it by having a nice set of pecks and kissing the ass of the right person. Our dean is a wonderful person, who also happens to know how to put the fear of god into any prospective attorney that tries to fuck with the system. I have had several good conversations with them (about some disclosures), and they have set my mind at ease.

Give these people some credit, don't give the angry person too much credit, get yourself a beer, sit back, crack it open, and relax.

Edit: Don't think that just because that person is an alum means that they are trusted more. At least at my school, your name counts for a LOT. Assuming you are not just paranoid, and are being entirely truthful with us, you are probably not the first person that they have done this too. That stuff spreads, and attorneys gossip.

birdokart

Postby birdokart » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Last edited by birdokart on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Mods, can we lock this thread up?

The same advice has been given in various forms by a number of TLS members and I the OP has not listened. If this is thread is open any longer, more people are inclined (upon reading posts by OP) to probably offer their own diagnosis on OP's condition (which would only exacerbate the problem.

birdokart

Postby birdokart » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Last edited by birdokart on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”