GPA calculation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
holley18

GPA calculation

Postby holley18 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 pm

In calculating one's GPA does LSAC calculate a GPA for each semester of undergrad and then find the average or do they simply add up the total number of credits corresponding to each letter grade? For instance, in using law school predictor's gpa calculator, should I find an average semester by semester, divide by number of semesters, yielding cumulative GPA....OR....do I tally up the number of A's,B's, etc. for my entire undergraduate experience and plug the result of the count into the corresponding letter grade?

rinkrat19

Re: GPA calculation

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 pm

holley18 wrote:In calculating one's GPA does LSAC calculate a GPA for each semester of undergrad and then find the average or do they simply add up the total number of credits corresponding to each letter grade? For instance, in using law school predictor's gpa calculator, should I find an average semester by semester, divide by number of semesters, yielding cumulative GPA....OR....do I tally up the number of A's,B's, etc. for my entire undergraduate experience and plug the result of the count into the corresponding letter grade?

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

holley18

Postby holley18 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
holley18 wrote:In calculating one's GPA does LSAC calculate a GPA for each semester of undergrad and then find the average or do they simply add up the total number of credits corresponding to each letter grade? For instance, in using law school predictor's gpa calculator, should I find an average semester by semester, divide by number of semesters, yielding cumulative GPA....OR....do I tally up the number of A's,B's, etc. for my entire undergraduate experience and plug the result of the count into the corresponding letter grade?

Still clueless, with all due respect

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 pm

holley18 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Still clueless, with all due respect

1. Enter grades
2. Get LSAC GPA
3. ???
4. Profit

(it calculates a GPA for your entire educational career, all institutions and all years, up to your first bachelor's degree. It does not average terms.)

Postby 02889 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:27 pm

The GPA calculation is based on all of your grades collectively. If they just averaged semesters, the calculation would not account for semesters in which the number of classes you took varied.

An example of why, if it's helpful: Consider that over 2 semesters you took 6 courses. In the 1st semester, you took 5 classes and received all Cs. In the 2nd semester, you took 1 class and received an A. If each semester was weighted the same, then your average GPA for that year would be a 3.0, or B-equivalent, because it would just be (2.0 + 4.0)/2 = 3.0. That wouldn't make sense, and wouldn't be a helpful depiction of your academic performance. The correct way, which is how LSAC does this, is to weight each class individually, making the calculation (2.0+2.0+2.0+2.0+2.0+4.0)/6 = 2.33.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”