Can you claim residency in more than one state?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rglifberg

Can you claim residency in more than one state?

Postby rglifberg » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:47 pm

For example I live in state X, But I'm currently living in state Y with family for an internship. I am applying to schools in X and Y, can I claim residency to both when I apply? Just want to be sure and avoid any C&F issues in the future. Thanks

facile princeps

Re: Can you claim residency in more than one state?

Postby facile princeps » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 pm

You can claim anything you want. If they ask for proof, you'll most likely be considered a resident (for tuition purposes) of only one... of course, unless you plan on gaming the system. If it feels wrong, don't do it. I made that call for myself. It's up to you, too.

JCFindley

Re: Can you claim residency in more than one state?

Postby JCFindley » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 pm

It would depend on the residency rules for each of the states you are considering. They vary pretty widely from state to state and some (think NJ and RU-N) will even give you residency by showing a year long lease you signed the day before class starts.

There were at least two states where I could legally claim residency during my cycle. I have seen rules where if you graduated HS in the state, you are considered a resident. Another one had a stipulation about land ownership. Yet others based it on the driver's licenses or state taxes paid or both. I have also seen where if your spouse or parent is a resident you may be considered a resident.

Just don't violate any rules and you should be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”