How Will This Affect My Application Cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What is my best option?

Take in October, apply when scores are released, retake in December
29%
Withdraw from October, take in December, apply when scores are released
65%
Neither, see below
6%

Total votes: 17

bne

How Will This Affect My Application Cycle?

Postby bne » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Hey everyone,

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum, but I am desperately in need of advice. I am registered to take the October 2012 LSAT, but have not been able to prepare the way I would have liked and as a result am currently PTing below my desired score. I took the LSAT in June, but bombed it (scored 10 pts below my PT average). I am a URM (African American & Native American), California resident, with a 3.17 GPA, so I need a 165+ to get into the schools I would like to attend. I am concerned that if I withdraw from the October LSAT and take the one in December that I will negatively impact my application cycle by losing the early app boost. In addition, I will be eliminating the early decision option to UCLA, which is my number one choice. However, if I score below my desired score again in October, which seems likely, I waste one of my LSATs and will be facing my third and final try in December. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Thank you all for your help. Your advice is more than appreciated.

framboozer

Re: How Will This Affect My Application Cycle?

Postby framboozer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 pm

What score are you currently practicing at? You're a combination of the 2 most powerful URM groups. You're pretty much a unicorn even with your GPA.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:50 pm

IF YOU DON'T FEEL READY, DO NOT TAKE THE TEST. This sage advice comes from someone who took the test before being fully prepared.

You do yourself no favor by testing before being ready, and by "ready", I mean confident that you are able to attack the test and kill it on test day. iInstead of hindering you, your nerves are nothing but fuel for your performance. The schools rely on your submitted score(s) as being your best effort(s).

karich

Postby karich » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:25 am

Last edited by karich on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bne

Postby bne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 am

Seems like the consensus is pretty clear, so I have decided to withdraw from the October LSAT, crank up my studying and take it in December. Hopefully, I can get the score I need and still be able to get into the schools I will be applying to! Thank you all for your responses, you were a great help.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:49 pm

If you did very poorly the first time, it may be wise to take a longer time to study and take in either the Spring or June and then apply next cycle. Then you get the boost from applying as soon as apps open, plus a better LSAT score.

Besides, you do not want to be heading to UCLA at sticker cost

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 pm

PDaddy wrote:IF YOU DON'T FEEL READY, DO NOT TAKE THE TEST.

+1

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”