Any stigma against 4 LORs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cassielam

Any stigma against 4 LORs?

Postby cassielam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Aside from the 2 academic LORs I'll be getting from professors at my school within my department, I have 2 other LORs I am interested in submitting with my app. One is from the head floor attorney at the Resource Center at Los Angeles Superior Court in downtown (I was a Americorps/Justice Corps member for a year working closely with this attorney there) and the other from my employer (1 year employment, civil litigation, probate, business law centered practice where I work as a legal assistance doing more than filing and scanning and administrative stuff haha).

Just wondering if there's anything AGAINST 4 LOR even though most schools leave it to the applicant to decide whether to submit 2-4. And if so, which of the 2 LORs should I keep - the one from Justice Corps or my employer who I am quite close to and who writes very eloquently. Both will be able to speak highly of me, though I feel the Justice Corps one MIGHT be a template letter, not sure. (heard from another law school applicant friend the attorney wrote it very quickly so I'm suspicious)

Thanks a lot!

Tom Joad

Re: Any stigma against 4 LORs?

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 pm

http://www.adcomsthatstigmatizepeoplewith4lors.edu

Doesn't look like their webpage is active. 4 LORs should be fine.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Unless you know that all four letters are unique in content but equally stellar in their praise of you, leave one off. There's a reason schools usally "recommend" fewer letters than they'll "accept". Adcomms are busy people and the less filler BS in your app file, the better.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Unless you know that all four letters are unique in content but equally stellar in their praise of you, leave one off. There's a reason schools usally "recommend" fewer letters than they'll "accept". Adcomms are busy people and the less filler BS in your app file, the better.

Yep.

Academic letters are strongly preferred. Drop at least one of the employment LORs. Drop both if neither is likely to be a profoundly positive and substantive addition to your file.

cassielam

Postby cassielam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:19 pm

Thank you guys. I believe both employment-related recommenders will ask me to look at it first before they submit (informally of course, I waived the right to looking at it on LSAC) so I guess I will decide which one speaks best to my abilities and submit that one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”