How many schools do I need to apply to?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:08 pm

LSN puts me at 94% for HLS, 71% for Stanford, and 41% for Yale. My letter writers all said they'd do anything they could to get me in, and according to a bunch of feedback my PS is definitely a plus. Resume isn't amazing but not terrible. I'm not a URM, I took the LSAT twice (cancelled first). Graduated last year and am taking a gap year (planning to travel/volunteer). No C&F problems. I think that's all the relevant info.

I really want HYS. If I don't get HYS I'd consider reapplying next year. I really don't feel like writing extra for Berkeley/Penn etc. when I don't want to attend (and I've already worked for months on my PS and resume).

helix23

Re: How many schools do I need to apply to?

Postby helix23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm

If you are a 94% for H, then you must have good numbers. If you have that good of numbers, you could probably see significant dollar signs at the rest of the T14. How debt averse are you? With good numbers you would probably have fee waivers at a lot of the T14. Why not apply to more and open up more options for yourself (presumably with less debt)?

If you truly only want H and will not go anywhere else, then you have answered your own question.

lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:19 pm

helix23 wrote:If you are a 94% for H, then you must have good numbers. If you have that good of numbers, you could probably see significant dollar signs at the rest of the T14. How debt averse are you? With good numbers you would probably have fee waivers at a lot of the T14. Why not apply to more and open up more options for yourself (presumably with less debt)?

If you truly only want H and will not go anywhere else, then you have answered your own question.

I'd go H over CCN free ride; yeah I've given it a lot of thought and I'm def not gonna end up outside HYS if I get an acceptance.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Well, you'll likely get H, by the sound of things. No one ever knows about Y/S. I was similarly "YHS or bust" last year and ultimately applied to YHSCCB. Didn't write anything extra for anyone. Passed on NYU because I didn't want to bother with their scholarship essays. I didn't see any reason to apply beyond those.

Your decision comes down to what you would do if you were to strike out at YHS. If it's at all possible that you would consider attending another school, then apply to a couple of others. If you're utterly certain that you would just reapply, then only apply to YHS.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 pm

Why don't you just apply to the schools you would attend? How is this a difficult question?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Dany wrote:Why don't you just apply to the schools you would attend? How is this a difficult question?

Exactly.

Will only go to HYS. Will not be persuaded by money. HYS wouldn't negotiate on the basis of CCN money anyway.

WTF is the question?!

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 pm

IAFG wrote:
Dany wrote:Why don't you just apply to the schools you would attend? How is this a difficult question?

Exactly.

Will only go to HYS. Will not be persuaded by money. HYS wouldn't negotiate on the basis of CCN money anyway.

WTF is the question?!

"LSN puts me at 94% for HLS" is the new "i go to school near cambridge"

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 pm

fatduck wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Exactly.

WTF is the question?!

"LSN puts me at 94% for HLS" is the new "i go to school near cambridge"

His numbers would probably make everyone feel awkward and bad.

lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:49 pm

IAFG wrote:

Exactly.

WTF is the question?!

Idk I guess I thought people would consider it ridiculous to apply to no schools below #3, but if it's not ridiculous I have no problem doing it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 pm

I mean, it's generally a dumb idea to not consider scholarships at great schools, but if money's not an issue and you're not going to go to those schools, why waste your time applying?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Dany wrote:I mean, it's generally a dumb idea to not consider scholarships at great schools, but if money's not an issue and you're not going to go to those schools, why waste your time applying?

because people might think he's ridiculous

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm

lsftw wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Exactly.

WTF is the question?!

Idk I guess I thought people would consider it ridiculous to apply to no schools below #3, but if it's not ridiculous I have no problem doing it.

Yes, it's ridiculous, but you claim you're committed to it so what do you want us to say? To argue with you about your shitty plan? Okay, your plan is shitty. That you should consider accepting a named scholarship/full ride at a T6? Okay, you should apply to T6 and see if you get a full ride.

Or you could just masturbate instead.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:59 pm

IAFG wrote:Or you could just masturbate instead.

Don't give him any ideas or he might make a thread asking which website to use, but refuse any suggestions.

lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Well, you'll likely get H, by the sound of things. No one ever knows about Y/S. I was similarly "YHS or bust" last year and ultimately applied to YHSCCB. Didn't write anything extra for anyone. Passed on NYU because I didn't want to bother with their scholarship essays. I didn't see any reason to apply beyond those.

Your decision comes down to what you would do if you were to strike out at YHS. If it's at all possible that you would consider attending another school, then apply to a couple of others. If you're utterly certain that you would just reapply, then only apply to YHS.

Didn't see the edit at first. Supposing I do strike out, what are the chances I'd be accepted in a later year? I'm not sure what I'd have then that I don't have now, except WE. If I strike out but have a decent shot at acceptance with WE, I'd wait and reapply down the road. If striking out now means I'd probably never get HYS, I'd take CCN now.

lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Dany wrote:I mean, it's generally a dumb idea to not consider scholarships at great schools, but if money's not an issue and you're not going to go to those schools, why waste your time applying?

Well, 94% does not equal 100%...

lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 pm

IAFG wrote:
lsftw wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Exactly.

WTF is the question?!

Yes, it's ridiculous, but you claim you're committed to it so what do you want us to say? To argue with you about your shitty plan? Okay, your plan is shitty. That you should consider accepting a named scholarship/full ride at a T6? Okay, you should apply to T6 and see if you get a full ride.

Or you could just masturbate instead.

So if someone gets a full ride to CCN it's common knowledge that they should go there over H? I was not aware of this...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:15 pm

lsftw wrote:So if someone gets a full ride to CCN it's common knowledge that they should go there over H? I was not aware of this...

I am totally sure this is a flame because no one with an HLS auto-admit LSAT score would fail this hard at logical reasoning.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:17 pm

lsftw wrote:So if someone gets a full ride to CCN it's common knowledge that they should go there over H? I was not aware of this...

Not sure IAFG said that. I think it was more along the lines of what I said originally. If you are 94% at H, you could probably see money at CCN. In case you don't get H, having money at CCN would be a good safety.

lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:22 pm

helix23 wrote:

Not sure IAFG said that. I think it was more along the lines of what I said originally. If you are 94% at H, you could probably see money at CCN. In case you don't get H, having money at CCN would be a good safety.

Okay yeah that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure what IAFG was calling a shitty plan then... I certainly haven't committed to only applying T3 (I've actually been assuming I'd apply at least T5), I'm more committed to going HYS if accepted regardless of money at CCN. That's what I thought IAFG was calling a shitty plan.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 pm

lsftw wrote:
helix23 wrote:

Okay yeah that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure what IAFG was calling a shitty plan then... I certainly haven't committed to only applying T3 (I've actually been assuming I'd apply at least T5), I'm more committed to going HYS if accepted. That's what I thought IAFG was calling a shitty plan.

Your original posts imply that you are set on HYS and wouldn't want to go anywhere else if you are rejected. Hence, making applying anywhere else pointless. Hence, IAFG calling that a shitty plan (which it would be).

edited

lsftw

Postby lsftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:41 pm

helix23 wrote:
lsftw wrote:
helix23 wrote:

Okay yeah that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure what IAFG was calling a shitty plan then... I certainly haven't committed to only applying T3 (I've actually been assuming I'd apply at least T5), I'm more committed to going HYS if accepted. That's what I thought IAFG was calling a shitty plan.

Your original posts imply that you are set on HYS and wouldn't want to go anywhere else if you are rejected. Hence, making applying anywhere else pointless. Hence, IAFG calling that a shitty plan (which it would be).

edited

Gotcha. Well I wouldn't want to go anywhere else in the sense that it'd be disappointing because I've worked very hard to get HYS and love the campuses etc etc. This does not mean I'd actually not go anywhere else if I'm not accepted.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm

lsftw wrote:Gotcha. Well I wouldn't want to go anywhere else in the sense that it'd be disappointing because I've worked very hard to get HYS and love the campuses etc etc. This does not mean I'd actually not go anywhere else if I'm not accepted.

Understood. Good luck with your cycle.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:58 pm

lsftw wrote:Gotcha. Well I wouldn't want to go anywhere else in the sense that it'd be disappointing because I've worked very hard to get HYS and love the campuses etc etc. This does not mean I'd actually not go anywhere else if I'm not accepted.

you just love the campuses of harvard, yale, and stanford so much that you'd be disappointed with anything else?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”