plans change Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tulo

New

plans change

Post by Tulo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:42 pm

i deferred last year at a t30, not trying to out myself, last year to volunteer. doing this gave me the opportunity to meet some people and network, through it i worked with someone who has now offered me a really cool job in a really cool place doing really cool things. this is what i want to do. i would like to take the job and forego law school for at least the next 4 years, and possibly forever.

i have no desire to go to law school now, but i dont want to rule it out in the future either. i still think it could be a great career move to be a JD, or JD/MBA - especially after having enough work experience to make a difference in my employment prospects.

does anyone have any experience with this or heard about someone who this has happened to before? does it make me look sleazy or just like a flaky 23 year old? should i be concerned about that? id feel like hell if i just eliminated a potential career option.

btw, my deferral doesnt state that i have to go to this law school this year or else never think about going to law school again. it says i cant matriculate at another school for the 2013 cycle, which i wouldnt be anywhere close to doing anyways.

dingbat

Gold

Re: plans change

Post by dingbat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Tulo wrote:i deferred last year at a t30, not trying to out myself, last year to volunteer. doing this gave me the opportunity to meet some people and network, through it i worked with someone who has nowoffered me a really cool job in a really cool place doing really cool things. this is what i want to do. i would like to take the job and forego law school for at least the next 4 years, and possibly forever.

i have no desire to go to law school now ,but i dont want to rule it out in the future either. i still think it could be a great career move to be a JD, or JD/MBA - especially after having enough work experience to make a difference in my employment prospects.

does anyone have any experience with this or heard about someone who this has happened to before? does it make me look sleazy or just like a flaky 23 year old? should i be concerned about that? id feel like hell if i just eliminated a potential career option.

btw, my deferral doesnt state that i have to go to this law school this year or else never think about going to law school again. it says i cant matriculate at another school for the 2013 cycle, which i wouldnt be anywhere close to doing anyways.
How is this even a question?

Tulo

New

Post by Tulo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:52 pm

not asking what people think i should do. i'm asking if it will be a problem in any potential, future legal career. admissions, reputation, c&f, etc.

i'm taking the job regardless.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 pm

It will not be a problem. Life plans change. Just write a brief and polite email stating that you appreciate the school's time and so forth, but that you've decided against attending law school at this time. Then you're done.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Tulo wrote:not asking what people think i should do. i'm asking if it will be a problem in any potential, future legal career. admissions, reputation, c&f, etc.

i'm taking the job regardless.
You're fine, enjoy working.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”