LOR from Soft? And also Financial Aid Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abcde12345

LOR from Soft? And also Financial Aid Question

Postby abcde12345 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:44 pm

I transferred into my current UG as a junior, so I don't have any continuous softs or fancy names like "president" etc. Still, I've had an impact in my school's community and my local community. Since I'm aiming for YS, would a letter from one of my soft "bosses" (she is a director of the program I work and volunteer for) help? She knows me well. From what I understand YS take things other than numbers into account. Now, I don't know if this necessarily means "softs," but what else could there be, besides essays? Certainly, it couldn't hurt?

Also, on a side note: I'm fairly certain I don't qualify for need-based aid, so I won't be applying. But I don't have anywhere near enough money to pay for law school out-of-pocket, so I need to take a loan (probably for full tuition). If I plan on taking a loan, do I need to fill out need-based-aid forms? Or does the loan process happen after applications?

bp shinners

Re: LOR from Soft? And also Financial Aid Question

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 am

abcde12345 wrote:I transferred into my current UG as a junior, so I don't have any continuous softs or fancy names like "president" etc. Still, I've had an impact in my school's community and my local community. Since I'm aiming for YS, would a letter from one of my soft "bosses" (she is a director of the program I work and volunteer for) help? She knows me well. From what I understand YS take things other than numbers into account. Now, I don't know if this necessarily means "softs," but what else could there be, besides essays? Certainly, it couldn't hurt?

If it's a part of your application you want to highlight, you can certainly include a LoR from this person. You can also skip including it in other applications if you think the academic letters will carry more weight.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm

bp shinners wrote:If it's a part of your application you want to highlight, you can certainly include a LoR from this person. You can also skip including it in other applications if you think the academic letters will carry more weight.

So is it an exclusive or thing? I can't include all 3 (2 academic + 1 soft)? I know that, numerically speaking, I can include 3 to many schools, but will they just not read 3? If it's an exclusive or, I would rather submit my academic ones.

Also, thanks for your help (and for your general presence on the forums). I was reading what you wrote in another thread about the new plug-and-chug games, and I totally agree. The new games are really getting me because they lack pivotal inferences. I used to do a basic/advanced linear game in around 5-6 minutes. Now it takes me the full 8-9.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 pm

You'll need to fill out the FAFSA to get federal loans.

I think you can improve your chances by sending in a third LOR that highlights your strength, especially if you already have two academic ones. There's a dude on TLS who got into Yale last year and submitted four LORs.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:You'll need to fill out the FAFSA to get federal loans.

I think you can improve your chances by sending in a third LOR that highlights your strength, especially if you already have two academic ones. There's a dude on TLS who got into Yale last year and submitted four LORs.

Thanks for the fin aid info. Do you know off-hand the approximate deadline for the FAFSA? Can I fill it out after I submit apps?

Four LORs? Wow. Well, I won't be doing that (don't know enough people), but it's good to know that a third one won't hurt and certainly can help if it's quality. I'll definitely do 3 then, since I think the third letter makes me more dimensional. Thanks very much for the info.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 pm

FAFSA makes the form available Jan 1. Some schools will require another (hugely more tedious) form called NeedAccess, and possibly some supplemental essays or other stuff. Read the school's admissions site to make sure you're checking off all their boxes.

Outside Harvard and Yale (maybe Stanford?) there is very little purely need-based aid in law school. Even when they say it's combined need/merit, it's mostly just merit. So jump through all the hoops even if you think you don't qualify for need-based.

As for Federal loans, we can all take out the full cost of attendance, regardless of need or merit. The only things that can disqualify you are REALLY bad credit problems, like bankruptcies.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:FAFSA makes the form available Jan 1. Some schools will require another (hugely more tedious) form called NeedAccess, and possibly some supplemental essays or other stuff. Read the school's admissions site to make sure you're checking off all their boxes.

Outside Harvard and Yale (maybe Stanford?) there is very little purely need-based aid in law school. Even when they say it's combined need/merit, it's mostly just merit. So jump through all the hoops even if you think you don't qualify for need-based.

As for Federal loans, we can all take out the full cost of attendance, regardless of need or merit. The only things that can disqualify you are REALLY bad credit problems, like bankruptcies.

Ah, ok. Thank you so much for the detailed info and advice. Well that's good, because I didn't want to be filling out government forms while doing applications. Do I need to indicate on my application that I'll be filling out the FAFSA?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:07 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:FAFSA makes the form available Jan 1. Some schools will require another (hugely more tedious) form called NeedAccess, and possibly some supplemental essays or other stuff. Read the school's admissions site to make sure you're checking off all their boxes.

Ah, ok. Thank you so much for the detailed info and advice. Well that's good, because I didn't want to be filling out government forms while doing applications. Do I need to indicate on my application that I'll be filling out the FAFSA?
Is there a question that asks that? Then yes. If not, no.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
abcde12345 wrote:

Is there a question that asks that? Then yes. If not, no.

Thanks again! I think there is for some apps, but I might have looked over it, so I'll have to go back and check.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”