Haven't heard back from a professor...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moonman157

Haven't heard back from a professor...

Postby moonman157 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm

So back in the spring I asked a professor to write me a letter of recommendation. She said she absolutely would, so I printed out the form to give to her. However, I never heard back from her (after sending her a dozen emails and leaving notes in her mailbox). Fortunately, I found two other professors to write me letters. However, her name is still appearing on my LSAC page. I know that I can't remove it since I printed out the form, but will it matter, since I will still have the two letters of rec?

rinkrat19

Re: Haven't heard back from a professor...

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:21 pm

No.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Ok thanks

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Even though you have two recs you should still find her and find out what's going on. Get answers.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:41 pm

DaRascal wrote:Even though you have two recs you should still find her and find out what's going on. Get answers.

Trust me, I've been trying for the past few months. I've sent her literally over a dozen emails, left notes in her mailbox and in her office with my phone number and two email addresses, called the head of the department, etc.

It's really confusing, because I absolutely nailed the class. It was about law and literature (both of which I love), and there were 8 of us in the class and only 2 of us ever spoke up. I visited her in office hours and she gave me supplementary readings and frequently complimented me. Not only that, but she initially told me that she would write me one then never responded. I would have still been confused if she had said no, but at least I would have gotten an answer. I've accepted that I'll never understand it. But as long as my two other letters will suffice, and the fact that I have an outstanding letter won't hurt me, then I'm over it.

sepeterson211

Postby sepeterson211 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:41 pm

DaRascal wrote:Even though you have two recs you should still find her and find out what's going on. Get answers.

I wouldn't. Do you want to chance it with a LOR she didn't want to write?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 pm

sepeterson211 wrote:

Absolutely not

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:34 pm

sepeterson211 wrote:

He can't let her get away with this....

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:37 pm

DaRascal wrote:
sepeterson211 wrote:

He can't let her get away with this....

Agreed...it not only sucks for you and should be adressed, but it might also help the next guy who asks that prof for a letter

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:21 pm

sepeterson211 wrote:

You have two recommendations already: follow up with her but be neither judgmental nor try to pressure her and move on. She's an adult, so you just have to take it in stride that something important may have come up that prevented her from writing a letter for you.

One of my favorite professors in a course I loved did the same thing to me. It turned out that both of his parents were terminally ill.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Ya I'm just gonna let it go since law schools don't care that I registered a professor who didn't send in a letter. Thanks everyone!

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:41 am

I asked a professor to write me a LOR back in undergrad. I took two classes with him and we got along well. He agreed to write the letter, but then totally fell off the face of the earth. I sent a couple emails and left him a voicemail but never heard from him again. I saw him on the campus a few years later.

Some people just suck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”