Self Selection on these sites

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msquaredb

Self Selection on these sites

Postby msquaredb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 pm

How much do you think self selection influences sites like LSN and TLS. Can I really get an accurate picture by looking at LSN graphs etc?

Ex Cearulo

Re: Self Selection on these sites

Postby Ex Cearulo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:18 pm

That's a good question and I've wondered the same thing. Take a look at a law school from the 2010-2011 application cycle (Class of '14) like, say, Duke. According to the Duke Law website, they had 6,099 applicants that year. There are 781 listed applicants on LSN, so you're theoretically seeing 12.8% of them. I'm not a statistics genius, and this isn't like a public opinion poll with a margin of error, but I'd say in this one particular case we're seeing a pretty healthy cross-section of applicants and what kinds of numbers had what kinds of shots at getting in.

Of course, you have to factor in that all numbers are self-reported and that you rarely see the whole picture unless a guy writes a novel about his background and softs. I'd like to think most of the numbers we see on LSN are the gospel truth, but we all know that's not always the case. Case-in-point: this person said straight out her numbers aren't 100% accurate and she also didn't list all of her schools http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lovelydarkanddeep That's totally fine. It's her right. And I'd say she did everyone a service by admitting it up front. But you get my drift.

BL, I'd say more often than not we get a pretty good glimpse by using LSN. It's still case by case and certain ones are sure to be more predictive than others.

-HD

TopHatToad

Postby TopHatToad » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of that. Any one account/dot can be inaccurate (though they're almost never totally bogus) but the important service LSN provides is from its aggregate data. You can view a school's LSAT/GPA acceptance slope, as well as how tightly they stick to it (Wash U vs Boalt, for example) and the school's scholarship numbers. This is all information that is nearly impossible to gain otherwise.

tl;dr Take it with a grain of salt at the individual level, but it's by far the best information of its kind available

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:58 pm

LSN can be very helpful for identifying strict GPA/LSAT floors. In general, I find it to represent a healthy sample of applicants and believe it is a good resource, provided you don't plan your whole cycle out based on past results.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”