Is it ok not mentioning every semester I took off?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
k070047

Is it ok not mentioning every semester I took off?

Postby k070047 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 am

Hello,

Is it ok to explain circumstances for only one of the semesters I took off?

I took a total of 4 semesters off, but I have a good reason for only one semester.
How about writing an addendum for only one semester I took off and not mentioning about other semesters?

Thank you in advance.

sepeterson211

Re: Is it ok not mentioning every semester I took off?

Postby sepeterson211 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 am

Have you checked the character/fitness prompts for all the schools you're applying to? Some specifically state that you must write an addendum for every break from school.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:00 am

The admissions people will probably notice that you've only explained one of the four gaps in your undergrad record. Without anything to go on, I wouldn't be surprised if their policy is to count them against you. With that said, if you have literally no good reason at all for having taken those other three breaks, then I guess the only risk you run is potentially getting auto-dinged for not following directions. Probably depends on how your numbers compare to their medians.

karich

Postby karich » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 am

4 semesters in a row? or semester here, semester there.

k070047

Postby k070047 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am

karich wrote:4 semesters in a row? or semester here, semester there.

1 semester off and three years later, 3 semesters in a row.

Considering Swimp's and sepeterson211's advice, I'll be better off explain circumstance for every semester I took off.

Thank you all! :)

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Related question: is being too poor to pay for school after my freshman year, and having to wait until I was 24 to get Fafsa to give me loans on my own income a good reason for a break in education?

afitouri

Postby afitouri » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Related question: is being too poor to pay for school after my freshman year, and having to wait until I was 24 to get Fafsa to give me loans on my own income a good reason for a break in education?

I would assume that there is no better reason. I too took off a lot of time because I didn't want to take student loans and tried to work to save enough money, but eventually found that this made me take classes at a crawling pace.

Referencing the OP, I would assume in your case you would write 2 addendums, one for the 1 semester and 1 for the 3 semesters.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:46 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Related question: is being too poor to pay for school after my freshman year, and having to wait until I was 24 to get Fafsa to give me loans on my own income a good reason for a break in education?

It's a pretty good reason but try not to put it like that. Don't say you "waited till you were 24 to get FAFSA"...just say you could finally afford to do so when you turned 24 due to FAFSA age requirements etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”