Doing applications before you get an LSAT score. Wise or Not

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msquaredb

Doing applications before you get an LSAT score. Wise or Not

Postby msquaredb » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Here is the deal. I am taking the October LSAT. I cancelled my June one because I was certain I underperformed relative to my practice exams. I am now taking a class (previously was self studying), and I am nervous that the October administration is too late if I wait to apply until my score is returned.

I have a 3.95 GPA as a Biochemistry major from a large research school. I have great softs. I am on committees with faculty/deans to decide system wide educational policy, decide on expulsion for grave violation of the code of conduct (plagiarism, rape, etc), head of a major student government group, in a nanochemistry research lab (one publication), and tons of volunteeting etc.

My last three practice exams have been 170, 178, 170. I am excluding ones before that because I hadn't finished the prep course yet.

My question is this: after I leave my LSAT administration should I approximate which schools to apply to and start them? If so, how? Also, with my stats where should I start applying if I feel I hit the low end (or below the low end) of my practice exam range? What if I hit the middle of range?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I didn't feel like it exactly fit a "What are my chances" thread.

lovejopd

Re: Doing applications before you get an LSAT score. Wise or Not

Postby lovejopd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:58 pm

msquaredb wrote:Here is the deal. I am taking the October LSAT. I cancelled my June one because I was certain I underperformed relative to my practice exams. I am now taking a class (previously was self studying), and I am nervous that the October administration is too late if I wait to apply until my score is returned.

I have a 3.95 GPA as a Biochemistry major from a large research school. I have great softs. I am on committees with faculty/deans to decide system wide educational policy, decide on expulsion for grave violation of the code of conduct (plagiarism, rape, etc), head of a major student government group, in a nanochemistry research lab (one publication), and tons of volunteeting etc.

My last three practice exams have been 170, 178, 170. I am excluding ones before that because I hadn't finished the prep course yet.

My question is this: after I leave my LSAT administration should I approximate which schools to apply to and start them? If so, how? Also, with my stats where should I start applying if I feel I hit the low end (or below the low end) of my practice exam range? What if I hit the middle of range?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I didn't feel like it exactly fit a "What are my chances" thread.

Come back with your Oct LSAT and Use "what are my chance" thread. Unless you apply for multiple EDs(ex-UVA --> Umich/Duke --> Georgetown), you don't have to start application. Just prepare a nice personal statement and get LOR and Transcript processed, so you can apply as soon as the score comes out. You have a killer GPA with a science major, so if you hit 170, you are golden...Cheers :D

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 pm

lovejopd wrote:
msquaredb wrote:Here is the deal. I am taking the October LSAT. I cancelled my June one because I was certain I underperformed relative to my practice exams. I am now taking a class (previously was self studying), and I am nervous that the October administration is too late if I wait to apply until my score is returned.

Come back with your Oct LSAT and Use "what are my chance" thread. Unless you apply for multiple EDs(ex-UVA --> Umich/Duke --> Georgetown), you don't have to start application. Just prepare a nice personal statement and get LOR and Transcript processed, so you can apply as soon as the score comes out. You have a killer GPA with a science major, so if you hit 170, you are golden...Cheers :D

Thanks. So applications don't generally involve additional essay writing other than the personal statement? Can I crank them out (with quality) in a weekend? I haven't look at any applications yet.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm

With that gpa in that major the TLS mob will murder you if you go anywhere not in the T14. Just go ahead and fill out all those apps and then submit the appropriate ones the second you get your score back (meaning maybe you don't apply to certain schools if your LSAT isn't quite up to snuff). But if you hit 170 or higher I'd probably blanket the whole t14.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 pm

msquaredb wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

Thanks. So applications don't generally involve additional essay writing other than the personal statement? Can I crank them out (with quality) in a weekend? I haven't look at any applications yet.

Most schools also have optional essays; the most common forms these come in are diversity statements and why (insert school name here) statements. The typical length for them is a page each, so it's entirely possible to write them up very quickly, but they'll probably be more effective if you take a little more time and also do some research before writing them.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 pm

msquaredb wrote:I am nervous that the October administration is too late if I wait to apply until my score is returned.

It won't be. Apps submitted by the end of October are plenty early -- especially for people with strong numbers, which you seem pretty likely to have.

After the test, this what you'll need to do: Work on the single two-page personal statement that you will submit to all schools (the most time-consuming thing you do, by far). Update your résumé. Then open the applications for every school in the T14 to which you plan to apply. If you want, write a few "Why X Law School?" essays for the schools in the 7-14 range you might like to attend; this probably won't be necessary, unless you're aiming for a full-ride at a lower T14 that might WL you for yield protection purposes if your numbers are too high. Spend a few hours filling out all of the mindless crap on the different apps. When your score comes in, submit.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
msquaredb wrote:I am nervous that the October administration is too late if I wait to apply until my score is returned.

It won't be. Apps submitted by the end of October are plenty early -- especially for people with strong numbers, which you seem pretty likely to have.

After the test, this what you'll need to do: Work on the single two-page personal statement that you will submit to all schools (the most time-consuming thing you do, by far). Update your résumé. Then open the applications for every school in the T14 to which you plan to apply. If you want, write a few "Why X Law School?" essays for the schools in the 7-14 range you might like to attend; this probably won't be necessary, unless you're aiming for a full-ride at a lower T14 that might WL you for yield protection purposes if your numbers are too high. Spend a few hours filling out all of the mindless crap on the different apps. When your score comes in, submit.

This. The process of filling out the information on the applications is tedious, but it doesn't take all that long. Have that filled in so you can send your apps out when your score is released. There's no rush since you'll still be sending in apps early (before Thanksgiving), but you might as well get it out of the way so you can relax and stop worrying about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”