Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
phelps84
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby phelps84 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm planning to apply to H/Y/S, Columbia, Michigan and a few others and want to have my applications out the door by mid-October. My numbers are good, not great (178/3.67) - will doing this really hurt my chances at getting into any of these schools, even one?

I definitely am hoping for the prayer of H/S, and want to do everything in my power to give myself the best shot.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby gaud » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Nope. You should have a stellar cycle. Good luck!

vinnnyvincenzo
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Why dont you just apply earlier if your worried about it being too late?

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Mid-October is still plenty early.

You should have a decent shot at HLS, especially with the further decline in apps expected this cycle. Unfortunately, chances for YLS and SLS are close to zero with your GPA. For Columbia, you're a virtual lock.

phelps84
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby phelps84 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Vinnyvencenzo - Not much free time w/ my job, haven't completed my personal statement yet.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby Nova » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Youre still applying early.

Anytime before the October LSAT scores are released is early....

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:52 am

Nova wrote:Youre still applying early.

Anytime before the October LSAT scores are released is early....


Sorry to hijack, but I'm retaking October and planning to do my apps while I wait for my score... should I submit them as I finish them, and just note that I've retaken October's test? Or should I just wait until the score release date to submit?

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby buddyt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Nova wrote:Youre still applying early.

Anytime before the October LSAT scores are released is early....


Disagree. Almost all ad comms aren't going to meet before October LSAT scores are released, and anytime before they meet is "early" to me since you will be in the first pool of applicants they look at.

phelps84
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby phelps84 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Hold on buddytyler - aren't you effectively saying the same thing as the person who said I'd still be applying early? Or was there a typo in what you wrote?

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby buddyt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:26 pm

phelps84 wrote:Hold on buddytyler - aren't you effectively saying the same thing as the person who said I'd still be applying early? Or was there a typo in what you wrote?


Based on their statements, Nova and buddytyler are most likely committed to disagreeing on:
A) whether or not applying in mid-October is "early"
B) which point in time is the threshold of applying "early"
C) whether there is an advantage to applying "early"
D) which one of them will get a higher LSAT score
E) which one of them is more neurotic for posting in faux-LSAT-question form

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby Nova » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm

B

User avatar
lsatprepguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby lsatprepguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:51 pm

buddytyler wrote:
phelps84 wrote:Hold on buddytyler - aren't you effectively saying the same thing as the person who said I'd still be applying early? Or was there a typo in what you wrote?


Based on their statements, Nova and buddytyler are most likely committed to disagreeing on:
A) whether or not applying in mid-October is "early"
B) which point in time is the threshold of applying "early"
C) whether there is an advantage to applying "early"
D) which one of them will get a higher LSAT score
E) which one of them is more neurotic for posting in faux-LSAT-question form


lol

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Adcomms won't really look at your RD applications until Thanksgiving break anyway, so you're fine as long as it's before that.

BalanceCare
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby BalanceCare » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:22 pm

phelps84 wrote:I'm planning to apply to H/Y/S, Columbia, Michigan and a few others and want to have my applications out the door by mid-October. My numbers are good, not great (178/3.67) - will doing this really hurt my chances at getting into any of these schools, even one?

I definitely am hoping for the prayer of H/S, and want to do everything in my power to give myself the best shot.

Thanks in advance!


#humblebrag

sepeterson211
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 am

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby sepeterson211 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Sorry to hijack, but I'm retaking October and planning to do my apps while I wait for my score... should I submit them as I finish them, and just note that I've retaken October's test? Or should I just wait until the score release date to submit?


It's probably better to wait until you have your new score. They may see your old score, skim over the part where you say you're retaking, and make a decision right away.

User avatar
Shiraz
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby Shiraz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:54 am

buddytyler wrote:
phelps84 wrote:Hold on buddytyler - aren't you effectively saying the same thing as the person who said I'd still be applying early? Or was there a typo in what you wrote?


Based on their statements, Nova and buddytyler are most likely committed to disagreeing on:
A) whether or not applying in mid-October is "early"
B) which point in time is the threshold of applying "early"
C) whether there is an advantage to applying "early"
D) which one of them will get a higher LSAT score
E) which one of them is more neurotic for posting in faux-LSAT-question form


+1

phelps84
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Planning to apply mid-October - hurt my chances?

Postby phelps84 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:35 pm

buddytyler wrote:
phelps84 wrote:Hold on buddytyler - aren't you effectively saying the same thing as the person who said I'd still be applying early? Or was there a typo in what you wrote?


Based on their statements, Nova and buddytyler are most likely committed to disagreeing on:
A) whether or not applying in mid-October is "early"
B) which point in time is the threshold of applying "early"
C) whether there is an advantage to applying "early"
D) which one of them will get a higher LSAT score
E) which one of them is more neurotic for posting in faux-LSAT-question form


Touche, but the main point of Nova's message seemed to be that I was applying early while you disagreed on a rather minor comment he made. Glad you enjoyed responding to my question though.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], neptunian and 4 guests