Will Study Abroad Grades count toward LSAC GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sbalashi

Will Study Abroad Grades count toward LSAC GPA?

Postby sbalashi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Hello,

I am wondering what grades will be counted towards LSAC GPA.

1) I got my Bachelor from Asia and had pretty good GPA. I am sure that these grades will be used for LSAC GPA.

2) During my Bachelor year, I had a chance to study abroad in Europe for fun. I spent 9 months there, which amounts to 2 semesters. Because of language problem(that was not English spoken university), I had bad grades. But these grades were not listed in my home university transcript. I listed this school to LSAC CAS account and it appeared as a different school than my home institution. I requested the Europe university to send the trasnscript to LSAC and LSAC already had the transcript. In that case, these grades will be counted toward my LSAC GPA?

3) I got a master degree from the United States. I am pretty sure that because this is graduate work. It will not count toward LSAC GPA.

I am very concerned about my one year in Europe. I already sent the transcript to LSAC. Today, just I realized that it will be a huge disaster if LSAC will use the grades from Europe University toward LSAC undergraduate GPA.

Thanks

dingbat

Re: Will Study Abroad Grades count toward LSAC GPA?

Postby dingbat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't know about your asian degree, but if your study abroad is not reflected on your main uni's transcript and instead is listed as a separate institution, this will not be reflected in your LSAC GPA

your masters will not be reflected in your LSAC GPA

sbalashi

Postby sbalashi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks!

So even though LSAC has my transcript from europe, won't they use it to calculate? Just make sure!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:21 pm

sbalashi wrote:Thanks!

So even though LSAC has my transcript from europe, won't they use it to calculate? Just make sure!

according to LSAC, I had no GPA

laura2011

Postby laura2011 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 am

hi!

sorry to highjack the thread but i have a similar question: i got my bachelor from a european university i.e. no GPA but i did a summer session in the US once during high school. needless to say that one summer in florida when i was 16 was not very productive and my grades were not very good - yet LSAC calculated a GPA which turned out to be a 3.65 .

do you think that is a confusion on the part of LSAC / CAS? if not, will the schools consider it in their admissions decision? i feel it is rather unrepresentative of my overall performance ...

jurisprudence2012

Postby jurisprudence2012 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:41 am

any graded college level courses should be factored in by LSDAS unless they tell you otherwise

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 am

jurisprudence2012 wrote:any graded college level courses should be factored in by LSDAS unless they tell you otherwise

bullshit - non-US degrees usually aren't graded and any post-graduate degrees aren't either

sbalashi

Postby sbalashi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 pm

I called LSAC, today. What I heard is that as long as school is international, they won't calculate GPA. Instead they all included all the transcripts in the evaluation. The representative told that it is law school's decision whether they combine or not all the grades.

jurisprudence2012

Postby jurisprudence2012 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 pm

dingbat wrote:
jurisprudence2012 wrote:any graded college level courses should be factored in by LSDAS unless they tell you otherwise

bullshit - non-US degrees usually aren't graded and any post-graduate degrees aren't either

thus the "any graded" to your "usually" argument.
toss in the "unless LSDAS tells you otherwise" (and they did for him it would appear) there you go.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”