What Should I Do? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TennesseeJed

New

What Should I Do?

Post by TennesseeJed » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi,

As a Freshman at a large public university, I had two misdemeanor charges against me -- one for marijuana paraphernalia and one for underage drinking -- each of which definitely compromise my application. Both of the charges have been expunged, but since the paraphernalia incident took place on campus, in a dorm, it is likely marked on my transcript, as I was placed on probation for a semester.

I actually transferred after that year to a t-20 school, and have not been in any kind of trouble since. Being expunged, do I need to list these on the character and fitness sections? I imagine I will have to write an addendum for the weed charge because it's probably on my transcript, but could I get away with not mentioning the drinking incident? I'm pretty worried they are going to devalue my application.

Basically, what can/should I do, and how much is this going to hurt me?

Thanks in advance.

Ruxin1

Silver

Re: What Should I Do?

Post by Ruxin1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:14 pm

TennesseeJed wrote:Hi,

As a Freshman at a large public university, I had two misdemeanor charges against me -- one for marijuana paraphernalia and one for underage drinking -- each of which definitely compromise my application. Both of the charges have been expunged, but since the paraphernalia incident took place on campus, in a dorm, it is likely marked on my transcript, as I was placed on probation for a semester.

I actually transferred after that year to a t-20 school, and have not been in any kind of trouble since. Being expunged, do I need to list these on the character and fitness sections? I imagine I will have to write an addendum for the weed charge because it's probably on my transcript, but could I get away with not mentioning the drinking incident? I'm pretty worried they are going to devalue my application.

Basically, what can/should I do, and how much is this going to hurt me?

Thanks in advance.
Disclose everything you will be fine.

Get a 4.0
Work for a couple years
get a 170+
profit

TennesseeJed

New

Post by TennesseeJed » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:23 pm

How heavily do they weigh instances like these though? I have around a 3.6, will hopefully score around 170, and plan to enroll immediately after undergrad. Will T-20 schools still consider me?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:25 pm

TennesseeJed wrote:How heavily do they weigh instances like these though? I have around a 3.6, will hopefully score around 170, and plan to enroll immediately after undergrad. Will T-20 schools still consider me?
The schools will absolutely still consider you. Those charges aren't as big a deal as you may imagine. Relax. Take Ruxin's advice. Get a good GPA and high LSAT and nothing else will matter.

I've mentioned this plenty of times: I have a buddy @ a T14 who has charges much worse than yours. You're fine.

Good luck!

TennesseeJed

New

Post by TennesseeJed » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Hah, ok, good to know. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:38 pm

TennesseeJed wrote:Hah, ok, good to know. Thanks for the encouragement!
Yeah, get a 4.0 the rest of your time, seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”