Submitting LOR before App Cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PJENNEWE

New

Submitting LOR before App Cycle

Post by PJENNEWE » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:04 pm

EDIT: I redid this entire thread to ask a more specific question. Disregard the first 8 posts or so.

Here is the situation. I have decided to ask for LOR from professors right after I have had a class from them so that they can give me a better, more detailed, LOR. However, I am not going to actually be applying until the 2014-15 cycle. How do I go about getting the LOR, without seeing it, and submitting it to LSAC this early so that it can sit in my account. Also, is this looked down upon? Is it even possible? Can someone walk me through how to do this? Thanks
Last edited by PJENNEWE on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dany

Diamond

Re: How to ask for a LOR?

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Well for starters I think it's way too early to be worrying about LORs. You're applying at least two years from now. Have fun studying abroad and look for a postgrad job before rushing into law school straight from undergrad.

Anyway, when you do get around to asking, this is what I did:

Email the professor(s) and ask if they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation, and if so, if there is a convenient time for you to stop by their office. If they says yes (which they likely will) then go to their office with a packet including your transcript, resume, the LSAC LOR form, any [good] work you have from the class, and anything else the professor(s) might want. I also included a typed letter thanking the professor for agreeing to help and included the date I needed the letter by (so that they'd have it in print to reference).

When you meet with the professor, you can catch them up on your plans. They'll probably ask what law schools you're considering, what you want to do, etc. This is a good time to explain that they only need to write one letter (unless you're doing school-specific ones) or answer any questions they have. I didn't tell any of my professors what to write - I think that's pretty presumptuous unless they specifically ask what you'd like them to include.

And remember: this is part of a professor's job. They want to help you, and if they've agreed to write you one, they're probably glad to do so.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:36 am

Email --> Drop by the office with the packet --> Reminder mail every 2-3 months --> Profit

Also make sure that you take at least 2 classes taught by him/her and make a good grade A or A- at least. It is making their job of writing LOR much easier :mrgreen:

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 am

lovejopd wrote:Also make sure that you take at least 2 classes taught by him/her
Not necessary.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 am

Dany wrote:
lovejopd wrote:Also make sure that you take at least 2 classes taught by him/her
Not necessary.
If possible

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:54 am

Dany wrote: And remember: this is part of a professor's job. They want to help you, and if they've agreed to write you one, they're probably glad to do so.
This is key. Part of a professor's job description is to write these things. It's not even remotely weird or awkward to ask for a rec, even if you're not best friends with the guy.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:59 am

Future law student: Hi Professor. I'm applying to law schools. Would you mind writing me a letter of rec?

Professor: I guess. Who are you, again?

That answer is as good as yes. Well done, future law student.

PJENNEWE

New

Post by PJENNEWE » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:40 am

Dany wrote:Well for starters I think it's way too early to be worrying about LORs. You're applying at least two years from now. Have fun studying abroad and look for a postgrad job before rushing into law school straight from undergrad.

Anyway, when you do get around to asking, this is what I did:

Email the professor(s) and ask if they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation, and if so, if there is a convenient time for you to stop by their office. If they says yes (which they likely will) then go to their office with a packet including your transcript, resume, the LSAC LOR form, any [good] work you have from the class, and anything else the professor(s) might want. I also included a typed letter thanking the professor for agreeing to help and included the date I needed the letter by (so that they'd have it in print to reference).

When you meet with the professor, you can catch them up on your plans. They'll probably ask what law schools you're considering, what you want to do, etc. This is a good time to explain that they only need to write one letter (unless you're doing school-specific ones) or answer any questions they have. I didn't tell any of my professors what to write - I think that's pretty presumptuous unless they specifically ask what you'd like them to include.

And remember: this is part of a professor's job. They want to help you, and if they've agreed to write you one, they're probably glad to do so.
I understand this sentiment. However, the thing that I am worried about is that I think that this professor really understands me and my work ethic. If I ask her for a LOR of recommendation in two years like normal, she may not be able to remember specific examples of my work ethic and my drive. Therefore, wouldn't this just make my LOR less strong?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:50 am

Do you even have an LSAC account yet? And LORs aren't that important. Keep up with the professor and the LOR should be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PJENNEWE

New

Re: Submitting LOR before Law School

Post by PJENNEWE » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Edited the entire post; please disregard the previous posts

PJENNEWE

New

Re: Submitting LOR before App Cycle

Post by PJENNEWE » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Anyone?

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:57 pm

That is a ridiculous idea

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:That is a ridiculous idea
Why? It seems intuitive to me that an instructor would be able to write a better letter immediately after having a student in class rather than two years down the road. I went to my letter writers right after taking their class and asked them if they'd mind writing the letter even though I wasn't applying yet and explained why. I don't think it's a big deal if the instructor wants to wait until you're ready to apply, but I don't see what's wrong with asking. I'd wait to have them submit it to LSAC until you're applying though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:
Why? It seems intuitive to me that an instructor would be able to write a better letter immediately after having a student in class rather than two years down the road. I went to my letter writers right after taking their class and asked them if they'd mind writing the letter even though I wasn't applying yet and explained why. I don't think it's a big deal if the instructor wants to wait until you're ready to apply, but I don't see what's wrong with asking. I'd wait to have them submit it to LSAC until you're applying though.
Could be a potential waste of time for the letter writier. Two years is a long time. You might change your mind and decide not to go to law school at all. In that case, you just wasted the time and effort of the letter writer.

IMO, a better option is to maintain that relationship, take more classes with them (if possible), and then ask once it is closer to the actual cycle.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:06 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
honeybadger12 wrote:
Could be a potential waste of time for the letter writier. Two years is a long time. You might change your mind and decide not to go to law school at all. In that case, you just wasted the time and effort of the letter writer.

IMO, a better option is to maintain that relationship, take more classes with them (if possible), and then ask once it is closer to the actual cycle.
Yeah for me it was a year in advance rather than two and I was for sure going to law school. The best case is to take more classes with the instructor. They'll know you better, and I've read that it's better to have the letter writer discuss your recent work rather than a course from a while back.

PJENNEWE

New

Post by PJENNEWE » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 pm

(Un)fortunately, I am done with my major requirement and won't be taking anymore classes from her. Also, I am DEFINITELY going to law school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”