BBA Accounting and an M.S. in Finance: good combo?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdfiv

BBA Accounting and an M.S. in Finance: good combo?

Postby jdfiv » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I am in the Professional Program of Accountants at Texas A&M. I have always wanted to go to law school (accounting is a necessary evil to differentiate myself) and I am now wondering how much this will actually set me apart. I am doing the five-year program in four years and I currently have a 3.82 GPA (as of my senior year, and I still have my graduate year). I will take the CPA and work in a big four accounting firm before I take the LSAT.

My question is: How much will this actually set me apart for admissions board? Does it all still rely on my LSAT score?

Davidbentley

Re: BBA Accounting and an M.S. in Finance: good combo?

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 am

1.) Virtually useless.
2.) Yes, + GPA.

It would come in more handy during OCI. Assuming, that is, that you want to pursue a practice area in that field.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 am

It will not help you with admissions to law school, but it will help you in a number of other ways. Big law firms love a finance/accounting background and, in general, a business background makes it easier to understand a lot of upper-level courses in law school (e.g., corporations, securities regulation, commercial transactions, bankruptcy). It's also a good degree to fall back on should this law school thing turn out not to be a great idea.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am

jdfiv wrote:I am in the Professional Program of Accountants at Texas A&M. I have always wanted to go to law school (accounting is a necessary evil to differentiate myself) and I am now wondering how much this will actually set me apart. I am doing the five-year program in four years and I currently have a 3.82 GPA (as of my senior year, and I still have my graduate year). I will take the CPA and work in a big four accounting firm before I take the LSAT.

My question is: How much will this actually set me apart for admissions board? Does it all still rely on my LSAT score?

Confused about the bolded part.

Won't make a difference in admissions, but should help during interviews.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”