Blank

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
petulla

Blank

Postby petulla » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:10 pm

-
Last edited by petulla on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkarmour

Re: Someone in their late 20s--29, 30--with a graduate degree

Postby darkarmour » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:16 pm

A graduate degree will generally help your chances of admission, but it certainly isn't a big enough boost to be a game changer except in the rare instance where your application needs to be tipped into the admitted pile. If you want to do legal work in the field in which you have the degree, that's probably good too.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm

petulla wrote:How is this generally perceived by admissions?

If you want to do legal work in the field in which you have the graduate degree?

I tried searching but the search struggled with the query and I came up blank.

Thanks!

It'll be a solid soft factor, but not a game changer.

They'll certainly recognize that you're more likely to take it seriously and have an idea of what you want to do after law school. You're also probably more mature. But it won't make up for a below-average LSAT/GPA.

If you're worried that they'll look at your age in a negative light, don't.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm

For myself and others it was a decent boost, especially for scholarship consideration. Once you get to hiring (provided you have competitive grades) is when you'll notice your age and alphabet soup of initials has significantly more effect than colleagues.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 28, nearly complete graduate degree (3 more classes), loads of work experience. From everything I've read here and in interviews with ad comm officers, I agree with the CW that it'll help but not erase my less than stellar GPA (3.24). But against someone with similar GPA/LSAT stats for the last spot, or if you're a splitter, I'd have to think you get a leg up thanks to your experience and additional academic record, provided its from a reputable school and your grades are good. BL, it doesn't hurt you...but how much it helps depends on the school and how well you sell yourself.

-HD

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”