Dropped major classes..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TeresaAnn

Dropped major classes..

Postby TeresaAnn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm an English major who had originally planned on teaching but turned out to love policy more than the literature itself. In addition to struggling through my English classes when I first transferred, I had some medical problems during my junior year and received two drops on my record in two English classes. They were actually recorded as "Dropped class during week 9" on my transcript but are not factored into my GPA. My professors both told me that they didn't expect me to receive anything lower than B's in their classes but I still, regretfully, dropped their classes due to being sick. Do you think this would be looked down in a really negative light by admissions? I transferred in with a 3.94 GPA and currently hold a 3.7 GPA at UCLA but plan to bring that up by the end of June. Can anyone tell me if they had something similar to this at their school? When I've searched around, I've mostly seen people who have dealt with WP or WF. Thanks!

bp shinners

Re: Dropped major classes..

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 pm

TeresaAnn wrote:I'm an English major who had originally planned on teaching but turned out to love policy more than the literature itself. In addition to struggling through my English classes when I first transferred, I had some medical problems during my junior year and received two drops on my record in two English classes. They were actually recorded as "Dropped class during week 9" on my transcript but are not factored into my GPA. My professors both told me that they didn't expect me to receive anything lower than B's in their classes but I still, regretfully, dropped their classes due to being sick. Do you think this would be looked down in a really negative light by admissions? I transferred in with a 3.94 GPA and currently hold a 3.7 GPA at UCLA but plan to bring that up by the end of June. Can anyone tell me if they had something similar to this at their school? When I've searched around, I've mostly seen people who have dealt with WP or WF. Thanks!

If it's not factored into your GPA, it won't be a big deal. If you're really worried about it and want to address it, an addendum explaining the medical condition is fine (but not needed).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”