Advice PLEASE: Should I take the LSAT the third time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Aries0208

Advice PLEASE: Should I take the LSAT the third time?

Postby Aries0208 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:48 am

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice here. I took the LSAT twice last year (145, 149), and got accepted by Northeastern and UDC. I also got waitlisted by Harvard, but was rejected at the end. I am thinking about re-applying for next fall, and wondering if I should take the LSAT the third time. Last year, I studied hard for almost 5 months! I am not American, and English is my third language, so I definitely some have language barrier and cultural disadvantages. But I have a very interesting background, and a powerful story to tell. I currently live here in the US as a refugee and I am interesting in international justice and human rights law. I have two masters degree, and my undergrad GPA is 3.9. The LSAT is really not my strong point, and to be honest, I do not think I can improve my score significantly this time. I was thinking about focusing on my personal statement, instead of studying for the LSAT again. What do you think? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

WanderingPondering

Re: Advice PLEASE: Should I take the LSAT the third time?

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:58 am

How were you PTing before the test?

How did you study the first time? How did you alter your approach for the second time?

Did you apply for extra time with the LSAC?

What sections did you struggle with? Even if English isn't your first language, you should be able to do well on LG with practice and practice.

It'd be a shame to waste that 3.9 gpa, but if you can't do any better on the LSAT then you can't do any better on the LSAT. Even just scoring in the low 160s will open up the T14 for you. IMO, it'd be well worth it you think it's possible. If not, work as hard as you can at Northeastern.

Aries0208

Postby Aries0208 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:24 am

Hi!

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it.

I was scoring between 152 -162 in my practice tests when I prepared for the LSAT the second time. The first time I took a prep course, and the second time I just studied myself. I was struggling with LG and Reading Comp so I focused on those two sections. I thought I did a lot better the second time, but still, got 149. :( I applied pretty late in the cycle last year, do you think early application will increase my chances? Or should I just study a few more months and see if I can score higher this time?

Thanks again!

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:49 am

Aries0208 wrote:Hi!

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it.

I was scoring between 152 -162 in my practice tests when I prepared for the LSAT the second time. The first time I took a prep course, and the second time I just studied myself. I was struggling with LG and Reading Comp so I focused on those two sections. I thought I did a lot better the second time, but still, got 149. :( I applied pretty late in the cycle last year, do you think early application will increase my chances? Or should I just study a few more months and see if I can score higher this time?

Thanks again!

It's much easier to bring your score up from 149-159 than 159-169... you can do it.

As long as you're not in a rush I say take your time and bring that score up as high as you can. I don't think it's a good idea to attend a second rate law school. People on this forum don't even reccomend that for NATIVE english speakers. All your law school tests are going to be in English... you'll be at a huge disadvantage unless you work on your English proficiency.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:23 pm

You should definitely retake the LSAT imo. Tons to gain, little to lose.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:You should definitely retake the LSAT imo. Tons to gain, little to lose.

Yup. Just apply to one of the top schools that only looks at your highest LSAT!

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Retake one more time, and if you can't crack 160, start looking for other career opportunities.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:06 am

Harvard waitlisted a 145 and 149? That sounds incredibly hard to believe... I guess with the other things in your app that make you stand out and the good GPA it's possible, but I've never seen it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”