Letter of Recommendation Question (Research related)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrconnery

Letter of Recommendation Question (Research related)

Postby mrconnery » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 am

Hi, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a LOR from my Principal Investigator (PI). I did research in his lab for 2 summers, and I also shadowed him for a summer (he's a MD/PhD). However, I did not publish any papers as an author with him. I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to play up this aspect of my application (health focus of my application and research skills). But I read somewhere that if an internship is already put down on your resume, you really don't need to get a letter of recommendation from that supervisor because it is already represented on your resume. Hence, I was was curious if this was applicable here. Thanks!

bp shinners

Re: Letter of Recommendation Question (Research related)

Postby bp shinners » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:46 pm

mrconnery wrote:But I read somewhere that if an internship is already put down on your resume, you really don't need to get a letter of recommendation from that supervisor because it is already represented on your resume. Hence, I was was curious if this was applicable here. Thanks!

That's bad advice. You can certainly get someone who supervised you to write a LoR if it's something about your application you want to highlight.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”